What does fasting and praying mean?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Selam ALL,

At one occasion, our Lord told his apostles,that it is only through Praying and Fasting that is possible to expel the weird demon that was possessing a man. In other words, we all need to Pray and Fast when we have tremendous problems that seem unsolvable,so that the Lord has mercy on us.

As a layman, I can take my AGPEYA and try to pray 7 times a day and ask ther Lord for his help. However, I do not understand the Fasting part. What did the Lord mean by FASTING in cases of difficulties and hardship? To get my current problem solved, I would be prepared to go to the extreme or at least try as much as I could. Please share how best one could fast, while praying?

regards,

Comments

• [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=5829.msg78285#msg78285 date=1192316636]
    Selam ALL,

At one occasion, our Lord told his apostles,that it is only through Praying and Fasting that is possible to expel the weird demon that was possessing a man. In other words, we all need to Pray and Fast when we have tremendous problems that seem unsolvable,so that the Lord has mercy on us.

As a layman, I can take my AGPEYA and try to pray 7 times a day and ask ther Lord for his help. However, I do not understand the Fasting part. What did the Lord mean by FASTING in cases of difficulties and hardship? To get my current problem solved, I would be prepared to go to the extreme or at least try as much as I could. Please share how best one could fast, while praying?

You mention the fixed daily prayers of the Church which are contained in the Book of Hours (Agpia). The Church likewise has fixed weekly (wednesday and friday) and annual (Lent, Apostles fast, Virgin Mary's fast, Advent, etc.) fasts.

On strict fasting days you are to eat and drink nothing between midnight and the ninth hour (3pm). After this you may eat one meal, but it may contain no meat, eggs, dairy or fish (fish is allowed in certain fasts). This is the propper way to fast, but because of its severity few people follow it to this degree. You should consult with your FOC about the most appropriate way for you to observe the fasts.

In addition to the fixed prayers and fasts of the Church, you may also want to pray and fast on other occasions. This can be at difficult times to ask for God's help, it can be a penance placed on you by your FOC due to a particular sin, etc. This form of prayer and fasting has no particular rules or guidelines, but depends on the situation.

Again, as with everything else, you need to ask your FOC what is the most suitable thing for you to do to ensure that any form of ascetic endeavour you undertake is for your spiritual benefit.
  • Hi Orthodox11,

Thank you for your advise, which I will follow. I do really appreciate it.

Have a blessed day.
  • Hi Hezekiel
    Remember that our church put fasting so that we can control our bodies when hungry. When doing this we can then control our selves from sins so that is the purpouse. Try and follow what Orthodox11 said.
    Pray 4 me
    Kirolos