A joke to share with you about Adel Imam

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Dear all,
For those who doesn't know him, Adel Imam is such a big comedian in the Egyptian and Arabic media. The joke goes like this: yesterday I read a news headline (don't remember exactly where) that Adel Imam met with Pope Shenouda personally and took permission from him to go about his next film. The story of the film is that Adel Imam will play the role of a priest, who escapes from his church, as some "Christian fundamentalists" :) :) :) are threatening to kill him.
Now, I know that Pope Shenouda is a very wise and blessed person, and what he did was the right thing to be done; no doubt about that.
But look at that comedian and funny person (I deleted other descriptions as I fell into the sin of cursing) trying to make fool of our priests, and our religion and beliefs as a whole. You know what: OK, let him have it. I used to respect that guy, but in the last couple of days, I found out how wrong I was.
Please share your views on this with me.
God bless you all and pray for us a lot

Comments

• interesting..
  • Sorry, Would you know what the movie is going to be called?
  • Dear konti,
    No, I don't know. Do you think it will be worth watching? To me, it is not. I think that is the whole target of his: stir up some controversy around it; encouraging people to watch it and discuss their opinions in a "civilised and open-minded manner" :)
    How funny.
  • ophadece,
    Definitely true, but you cannot be sure he is going to make the priests look bad. Just because he is going to be a priest in the movie does not mean that he is going to mock them. The pope would obviously have figured out if Adel was trying to make a fool out of him and the Church.
  • Dear aem581,
    That was not the point I was getting at. The point is that the "well-respected" Adel Imam - at least to some people - is going to represent the church as having FUNDAMENTALISTS THREATENING TO KILL A PRIEST. Tell me, is that not funny enough?
    God bless you and pray for us a lot
  • you wouldn't want to say this about Adel Emam. especially him. because he's one of those guys who hate other poeple attcking other's faith. including his own. he makes fun of many muslims and i guys he does to ours to. he's not really against us....he just respects others' faith to much and i guys he shows that by doing things diffrent in his movies. trust me, he's za nice guy when hear of him more.
  • Assuming this is true:

I would not be happy about it nor do i think it is funny. Adel Imam has indeed been very open minded in his movies but when he attacked the fundamentalist in the Islamic religion, he was attacking a real and present danger that was spreading through Egypt in the 80's and 90's and the weird teachings that defy the human senses of the sheikhs.

However, if he does that with the Church, what is he addressing and when did anybody ever threaten to kill anybody in the Church?

It might be part of the "balancing act" that was started by the late President Sadat, who covered the crimes of islamic groups by advocating the same image about the Coptic Church, against all logic and without evidence.
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=5818.msg78052#msg78052 date=1191884427]
    It might be part of the "balancing act" that was started by the late President Sadat, who covered the crimes of islamic groups by advocating the same image about the Coptic Church, against all logic and without evidence.

what ever Sadat did was his own choise. those islamic groups where the ones who killed him, as some ppl believe. what he ment to do is to take those ppl and make out of them true ppl under his power.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5818.msg78036#msg78036 date=1191874667]
    you wouldn't want to say this about Adel Emam. especially him. because he's one of those guys who hate other poeple attcking other's faith. including his own. he makes fun of many muslims and i guys he does to ours to. he's not really against us....he just respects others' faith to much and i guys he shows that by doing things diffrent in his movies. trust me, he's za nice guy when hear of him more.

Then why would you think the Pope would accept this role in such a ethnocentric movie? The Pope would know better and we might as well just accept the fact. By the way, Mina, Adel Imam does not "hate" religions, he just tries to make it funny in a strange way by doing foolish things. I catch on to it and that is why I think he is a pretty funny guy. Also, ophadece, I did not know that the movie was going to be about a threat, if I read that part earlier then I wouldn't have supported this in any way.
  • what ever Sadat did was his own choise. those islamic groups where the ones who killed him, as some ppl believe. what he ment to do is to take those ppl and make out of them true ppl under his power.

We do not believe islamic group killed Saddat, we KNOW that they killed him. Saddat was part of the islamic brotherhood in his youth and has participated in the murder of "Amin Osman". He was a hardcore islamist.

In any case, maybe if there is a reputable source to confirm the news please let anybody bring it forward. 
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=5818.msg78107#msg78107 date=1191905721]

what ever Sadat did was his own choise. those islamic groups where the ones who killed him, as some ppl believe. what he ment to do is to take those ppl and make out of them true ppl under his power.

We do not believe islamic group killed Saddat, we KNOW that they killed him. Saddat was part of the islamic brotherhood in his youth and has participated in the murder of "Amin Osman". He was a hardcore islamist.

In any case, maybe if there is a reputable source to confirm the news please let anybody bring it forward. 

most of the american history books says that and that's what i learned here in the US. but if u look back at sources in egypt, u'll find that he himself knew that he was hated by Islamic groups. one of the main reason is because he made peace with israel. egypt was the first arab cou try to do that and i tihnk we still are.
  • Dear minagir and all,
    One thing about Adel Imam, is that yes he used to attack the muslims who were too extremist in their thoughts and deeds, and the terrorists at one point, but what you seem to miss is that his daughter has been (or yet to be) married to a son of one of the most hardcore terrorist groups (gama3at). Since then - at least for five to six years now - he changed his path spectacularly, trying to float on the same wave of the other youngsters in the Egyptian cinema and surely as you can imagine he is now inviting too much criticism on his works nowadays. He is not the same as he was before...
    Second thing, Egypt doesn't live in a very peaceful era nowadays as you might assume. Just remember a couple of years ago, Egypt had three bombs (separated only be a couple months each?), and Christians and muslims still have tussles all over the place. I am sure you know all of this.
    So he is playing on the string of being balanced as Stavro pointed out, which is merely nonsense. Why Pope Shenouda agreed is another matter, and I think he did so, because he saw no point in disagreeing on a funny film like that. It just sends the wrong message to the ignorant people in the world (and there are lots of them). Sorry to say this, but Adel Imam is acting just silly.
  • wait so in the end did HH agree or no and pleasee post the source or ur info
    thank you
  • Dear markoc pi apostoloc,
    Yes Pope Shenouda has agreed already after a personal meeting with Adel Imam. Where I read this piece of news: I can't remember: but probably youtube.com ????!!!!! Not quite sure.
  • OK gents, look:

I think he was courageous to do this video. Honestly! If he's doing now one on Christian fundamentalism, great! Why not? ANy form of fanatism is wrong!! Islamic or CHristian; but what do we care ??? We are not fanatical.We don't blow mosques up nor kill muslims. We are the persecuted jizya paying Kuffars, 2nd class citizens in our Islamically overthrown Egypt.

I don't think the film will be a great success as there is no hint of reality in it. It could be a good idea if it was a protestant group of Christians who turned fanatical - sure! But, orthodox? ya3ni, what would someone orthodox do who became fundamentalist? Fast day and night for 55 days?? Take a marathon confession??? Sing ALL the doxologies for the church vespers without missing ONE!!??

There's nothing to attack us on. If he has to fabricate anything, and its so that it saves his funny egyptian skin, then fine... i'm worried for him.
  • Dear QT_PA_2T,
    Just to say that I am not really worried for him. Let him go his own ways as he pleases.
  • If HH said ok then it's over. It's true that Sayedna isn't infallable, but in a situation like this whatever he says, goes.  At least that's my view. Ophadace, do you know when this movie will be aired on arabic TV (Dish network)?
  • Dear PopeKyrillos,
    It is over as far as the Pope Shenouda and hence we all as Coptic Orthodox are concerned, but it is just the basis on which the film stands; how funny. I haven't got any idea when the film will be aired, but I think that it hasn't been acted out by the cast yet. It may come in in cinemas round February or something like that, as I reckon that will be the time for the muslims big feast.
  • guys if we were to combine all our wisdom together, we would still not equate to H Hollineses' wisdom. HH must have seen a point behind it all in order for him to have accepted the idea. lets not jump the gun here nd let's wait to see what the movie pulls off, nd maybe at the end will see an underlying point to which we dont see at this present time. Adel emam in my view has been the greatest actor egypt has ever produced, his style and sense of humour is far and beyond other actors of his time and now. not only that, but i also admire him for the movie which he made called "el erhaby" in which he payed tribute to the christians and attacked islamic fundamentalists. A risky move that any oder muslim would not have dared act out. so lets not forget this chapter of his career and attack him over an upcoming movie which we are yet to see and analyze. 
  • Dear Silent.Monk,
    I think attacking someone is wrong by all means as Christ taught us. I hope you didn't infer this from what I wrote: I just meant that that guy is not that respectable anymore, and just tried to give a warning, if you like, about a film coming out to disdain, or maybe only sneer at our church. Yes, like you said, I agree 100% HH's wisdom led him to agree to something we will understand in good time. But there is another point: as you said some people will start watching the film to see what he is saying. The reason of my post was not to produce that fuss and propaganda about the film (which already occurred indirectly), as this is the purpose of the silly headlines on websites and newspapers: a means to sell.
    I don't really think the film is worth watching at all. I don't even think Adel Imam is that respectable guy as he used to be. I, for one, admired the film "el erhaby (= the terrorist)" a lot, but I disagree that he paid tribute to Christians. He even showed a Christian family with an "extremist" Christian member: I don't think true Christians show themselves in an offhand manner to people they don't know, and are very strict about drinking wine or alcohol, or hint at handing terrorists to the police :) It may only be me though :)
    As I said before that was a while ago, but a couple of years ago his daughter got married to a son of a highly rated figure in the Islamist groups (gama3at), and since then he hid his tongue. Just acting out in some "youth" roles which don't suit his age, or his character being one of the highly respected comedians in Egypt. Sorry, he is not anymore: I am saying sorry to you Silent.Monk.
  • Dear ophadece

There is nothing to be sorry about as that is your opinion and i respect it. Yet your main argument I gather is to warn others of not wasting their time in watching the movie as the movie in your view appears to be aimed at distorting the image of christians. To that i say; let every individual watch it for themselves and judge accordingly. As for adel imam's position; I do agree with you that he has in recent years droped a few notches in his performance and acting roles yet I took that as a result of his growing age and his personal need to slowly leave the acting arena altogether. Nevertheless, you might be right in sugesting that he is being influendced by the islamist gama3a, its an open-ended question though.   
  • Dear Silent.Monk,
    Thank you for your post. I think it is really up to every one to watch the film as you said, and then we will be able to judge it. As for me, as you rightly pointed out, I won't waste time watching this silly senseless film (only my opinion), and have feed back from those who watched it and trustworthy to me. Thank you again...
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5818.msg78367#msg78367 date=1192568500]
    I haven't got any idea when the film will be aired, but I think that it hasn't been acted out by the cast yet. It may come in in cinemas round February or something like that, as I reckon that will be the time for the muslims big feast.

[quote author=ophadece link=topic=5818.msg78386#msg78386 date=1192615100]
    Dear Silent.Monk,
    As for me, as you rightly pointed out, I won't waste time watching this silly senseless film (only my opinion), and have feed back from those who watched it and trustworthy to me.

How have people watched it if it's comming out in February?
  • Dear Hizz_child,
    Oh please don't patronize my English. I just used the wrong tense. The film is not out yet; I will have feedback when people do watch it (not watched it).