Why do we do this?

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Dear all,
Following on some of the posts on tasbeha.org, and the things that I noticed of late; there is something which I don't like, and I am not sure why people do it. That thing is: those who have some "rare" hymns don't like sharing it out with people, and they even ask others who they personally give these hymns to, not to spread it out. Even more, on coptichymns.net the section of downloadable hymns has the hymns "copyright" in a sense that they mixed the hymn with the recording of a lady's voice saying "coptic hymns dot net". Why is that? Why do we have this mentality? I think that we all should learn hymns alike: rare as well as common ones. It doesn't help building our church at all that some people hide these hymns away from the rest of the "common" laypeople. I don't understand why some people do this.
At least the Bible says "freely you took, freely you give", isn't it?
God bless you all and pray for us a lot

Comments

• Just as certain members of the church sacrifice their time and money to produce these recordings for the benefit of all, it seems reasonable that the people who wish to benefit from them contribute financially by purchasing the various tapes, videos, CDs, etc. rather than filesharing and copying.

It seems to me no different from a congregation contributing to the up-keep of their local church.

As for the Coptichymns.net thing, it is most likely there to prevent people downloading and selling these recordings for a profit.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5769.msg77198#msg77198 date=1190219536]
    Dear all,
    Following on some of the posts on tasbeha.org, and the things that I noticed of late; there is something which I don't like, and I am not sure why people do it. That thing is: those who have some "rare" hymns don't like sharing it out with people, and they even ask others who they personally give these hymns to, not to spread it out. Even more, on coptichymns.net the section of downloadable hymns has the hymns "copyright" in a sense that they mixed the hymn with the recording of a lady's voice saying "coptic hymns dot net". Why is that? Why do we have this mentality? I think that we all should learn hymns alike: rare as well as common ones. It doesn't help building our church at all that some people hide these hymns away from the rest of the "common" laypeople. I don't understand why some people do this.
    At least the Bible says "freely you took, freely you give", isn't it?

lol...ur not the first to speak about this....i spoke many times about this with ch.net people and according to the answers i got from ppl there and the admin, they have no real reason to keep hymns copyrighted except respect to those who provided them the hymns. which means nothing because those ppl themselves didn't have respect to the hymns and their real meaning.
  • Dear orthodox11,
    You make a good point, but I really see this as contradicting the meaning of what Christ has said. Secondly, sacrificing time and money to get this doesn't mean that I should hold them from other people, and not share with them through copying or filesharing, even though those people do not contribute financially. I think that is pure selfishness, and I can't see it acceptable between us as Christians first of all, and Coptics who like keeping their tradition as well. By the way, I didn't understand the thing about up-keeping the church.
    Dear minagir,
    Thanks for being on this case from before. You make a very strong point, which I strongly agree with, but who listens? God bless every one who has work and toil in this.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I suppose since we have 'freely received, we should freely give' we should refrain from giving tithes to the Church as well.  I mean, what reason is there to give money to the Church at all since everything should be 'free'?  You can see where such reasoning can cause problems.  The money raised by the selling of CD's, videos and what have you does not go into the pockets of those who produced said articles.  On the contrary, the money goes to the Church, to help build her up, expand her, renovate her and the like.  It is the exact same thing your tithes go to.  Since the money raised by selling CD's, videos and the like goes into the edification of the Church, if anything, we should not only be willing to pay for these things, but pay with all joy and gladness, because in the end, it is all for the glory of God.
  • Dear Cephas,
    I am truly sorry: I completely disagree here. I am not against paying the tithes, not just because of the edification of the church, but also because it is God's commandment. What you miss (probably because you were not born in Egypt) is that people make money of selling these CD's and videos, and it doesn't go to church for edification as you said. This is a completely different matter. "Freely you received, freely you give" is a commandment to keep for those things, which help us build our spiritual lives up. I don't imagine that we should pay for Sunday school, or for attending a prayer group, or a church meeting. I hope I am clear in what I mean.
    God bless you and pray for us a lot
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Don't apologize my good man, you are entitled to disagree with me.  :)

Those that sell things for personal gain instead of for the glory of the Church of God have their reward.  It may be an annoyance to us, but we should think of it in terms that we are giving to God Himself and not to joe shmoe on the street who is trying to make a quick buck.  I know this may not be entirely satisfying, but I think this sort of mindset is what we should have.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5769.msg77251#msg77251 date=1190292768]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I suppose since we have 'freely received, we should freely give' we should refrain from giving tithes to the Church as well.  I mean, what reason is there to give money to the Church at all since everything should be 'free'?  You can see where such reasoning can cause problems.  The money raised by the selling of CD's, videos and what have you does not go into the pockets of those who produced said articles.  On the contrary, the money goes to the Church, to help build her up, expand her, renovate her and the like.  It is the exact same thing your tithes go to.  Since the money raised by selling CD's, videos and the like goes into the edification of the Church, if anything, we should not only be willing to pay for these things, but pay with all joy and gladness, because in the end, it is all for the glory of God.

well here is a good point. but it's not the same as what i've spoken about, as i told people many times.
    when a church make a CD to raise money for a specific reason there is always those who do pay for these things.
    actually one small thing before i go on, the word 'fund-raising' is basically not right in ur church (even thoo EVERYONE does it), this is frm my dear Abouna Antonios Tanios....let's not talk about this now thoo.

when u talk about alhan and liturgy cds and recordings, ur talking about mostly ppl who develop them not specifically  churches, and ur talking about things that don't cost as much to use as a reason.

As everyone one else uses H.H. intro in every saint video u c; i FULLY disagree with using that as a reason or a rule from H.H. concerning hymns and normal recordings.

this is what i exactly said before to someone about this:

"H.H. said no such thing about hymns or Christian songs tapes, CDs, or any kind of audio recording. Also we all know if H.H. would have said it as serious as your saying Paul it would have been followed by everyone in the church. But guess what, it was the same as that time he said all the US churches have to follow the recording of the Northern diocese but guess what, every church still uses there own way even though H.H. said so.The only time that he actually made a great statement was when he spoke about video tapes that cost many thousand of pound to make. But he didn’t mix audio tapes with video."
  • Dear minagir,
    Please explain to me what H.H. Pope Shenouda said, and what you meant by your reply to some of those people.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5769.msg77289#msg77289 date=1190321764]
    Dear minagir,
    Please explain to me what H.H. Pope Shenouda said, and what you meant by your reply to some of those people.

think about making a video for a saint that can cost not less than 75,000 pounds and an audio tape or CD that would cost u to be very very professional 1000 pound. can you, by any means mix them together....no....there for u can't mix there copyright.

think about it......

also again, H.H. did not say anything specifc about audio things especially Alhan since they are not a property of somone but of ALL.

and we all know that our pope is a very wise person but in the same time strict in what's is wrong. if this is wrong, he will fully stop it.
  • Dear Mina,
    I do agree, and till now there is no clear explanation, or solution for this happening, except "MONEY". How sad.
  • Dear all
    this topic about rare hymns not about videos !
    before I asked if any one has lessons for big hymns or rare one in the Canto Gad topic and shnoda said I have all of big hymns lessons , and I think he already give them all to the admin or mina but till now there is not any one in the site !!!! ???
  • [quote author=gergesezzat link=topic=5769.msg77371#msg77371 date=1190396036]
    Dear all
    this topic about rare hymns not about videos !
    before I asked if any one has lessons for big hymns or rare one in the Canto Gad topic and shnoda said I have all of big hymns lessons , and I think he already give them all to the admin or mina but till now there is not any one in the site !!!! ???

that is technical problems with the site....not our own choice ya habibi
  • thank you mina. and if you can upload it to any share site like facebook.com or box.net
    that will be great.
    and I hope you will fix this problem as soon as you can.
  • hi everybody,
    i still have many hymns that i didn`t sendcos i don`t know what mina has.and i thought i will be easier to send them to mina as he will be able to publish them.anyway,if anyone needs a specific hymn in a hurry i can upload it and send the link,my only problem is time.so feel free to ask anytime.

there is another thing that i want to know ur opinion about it...what if someone asked me for a hymns and i know for sure that he don`t care for hymns but he just want to collect as much as he can and go tell people that he have everything....he want to take everything easy...i can`t tell u how much time i spent in my life to get my hymns library and how much i payed for it and then he comes and say plz give them to me.......well i say NO,u go and take them from the one who recorded them.do u think what i do is wrong ?
    i never keep a hymn from a person whom i`m sure will try to learn it and use it,not just to show off.

sorry for the long reply  :-[
  • Dear shnoda,
    My view is different on this one. If I were in your place, I would have given it to him on the basis that I shouldn't judge him. Even if he shows off today, he might be in dire need for it tomorrow, to learn it and get benefit. The priest in one of the churches said that hymns especially are the things that tie the person up to the church. The more we learn hymns, the better: even if someone goes astray for some time, the hymns will bring them back. I believe in what abouna said. Second thing, that one might be of benefit to you tomorrow, who knows?
  • [quote author=shnoda link=topic=5769.msg77388#msg77388 date=1190462977]
    there is another thing that i want to know ur opinion about it...what if someone asked me for a hymns and i know for sure that he don`t care for hymns but he just want to collect as much as he can and go tell people that he have everything....he want to take everything easy...i can`t tell u how much time i spent in my life to get my hymns library and how much i payed for it and then he comes and say plz give them to me.......well i say NO,u go and take them from the one who recorded them.do u think what i do is wrong ?
    i never keep a hymn from a person whom i`m sure will try to learn it and use it,not just to show off.

sorry for the long reply  :-[

u'll know if the person loves hymns or not and really wants this hymn or not. also u shouldn't think of hymn as ur own. yes we love them, but having your own hymn library even if u spend money and time to get them, just keeping them will be consider selfishness. (dono if i spelling that rit)