Sneezes

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Am I going crazy?

I hope I do not corrupt anyones mind. I never believed this when I was younger or not strongly. I do not want to make you self-conscious about your sneeze if you should not be.

I think I am being superstitiuous like those in the old days.. maybe it is true... often times when I have a bad thought people sneeze and nasty ones too to rebuke me or something. But they can not read my mind.. its as if the devil knows they will sneeze and then attacks me just before they sneeze or something.  Or they might cough.. or that God makes them sneeze.

people u'sed to believe different things about sneezes.. that those who sneeze would expel a demon or that when a person sneezed, the soul was believed to leave the body. saying bless you would prevent it from escaping and letting an evil spirit possess the body. (maybe the latter or both of them were not christian beliefs but maybe they were)

why do people sneeze so nastily. Don't they hate the way it sounds. You can control the way it sounds I think. Also sometimes when I have a bad thought something happens like the train guy tells us the next station we are stopping at. And I sometimes or often interpret the way he says it like if it is in irritation as it God is angry with me..

Comments

• i don't think ppl can control how they sneese. i can maybe 1 or 2 times but i just can't. also i know there is a medical reason for it.

the only reason we say "God bless you" is becuae it's the only time that you heart FULLY stops.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5688.msg76007#msg76007 date=1187961058]
    the only reason we say "God bless you" is becuae it's the only time that you heart FULLY stops.

I was told this was the reason Muslims say bismillah after they sneeze. The "God bless you" (at least in English), however, comes from the rather silly superstition about the soul leaving the body.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5688.msg76008#msg76008 date=1187961872]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5688.msg76007#msg76007 date=1187961058]

I was told this was the reason Muslims say bismillah after they sneeze. The "God bless you" (at least in English), however, comes from the rather silly superstition about the soul leaving the body.

actually most of them say "Yarhamokom Allah" which means 'may the Lord have mercy on you'.  which i think we say to. i don't remember learning in arabic to say anything when sneezing....
  • I regret that I made this post come to think about it. Why does the devil play with my mind..

Now I think people who suspect some people are evil will start thinking others are having bad thoughts because people sneeze when they do something suspicious...  Maybe only 3 sneezes out of 20 happen when someone has a bad thought at times.. and other times they sneeze alot when you have bad thoughts.. so we can never know when someone has a bad thought or not..
  • Sneezing occurs when a particle(s) passes through the nasal hairs and reaches the nasal mucosa. This induces the secretion of histamine, which triggers the opthalmic nerve cells in the nose, which then relays a signal to the brain to sneeze.

According to Wikipedia, it is in the English speaking countries where God bless you is said because the heart momentarily stops.

Let's be free from superstition, in the enlightenment of the Truth of the Gospel and science.