The Bible for beginners

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everyone,
im in my mid-teens and i still do not know how to read the bible, i want to read the bible on a regular basis but i cant cause i dont know how to read it (i mean i can read but i dont know how to approach it). Does anyone have any advice and plz pray for me.

Comments

• I remember in one of the psalms it says
    Thou Shalt not be too righteous

by that it means that we dont jump into a Spiritual State of mind
    right away because the devil will hit hard but instead one takes it step by step

read one verse...soon it'll turn into 2,3,4,5 and eventaully a full chapter a day adn more.

Try to focus on hte one verse u start with and look for the deep meanings, my FOC told me that hte best Gospel to start with is that of St. Matthew.

Also try not to forget the Agpeya....its our basic survival guide lol
  • You can approach the Bible by always reading the Agpeya first. You should do the Vespers hour at night. Then, at around that time, you will feel as if you are ready to read God's Word (it always happens to me whenever I read the Agpeya before I read the Bible). If you either do not have an Agpeya or you are in a rush to go to sleep, then I would recommend that you just read a Psalm. I know the Psalms are a part of the Bible, but once you finish reading the Psalms, you feel refreshed enough that you can read the Bible with all your soul, spirit, and mind.
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father+ and the Son+ and the Holy Spirit+, the One True God. Amen.[/glow]

It can be frustrating at times having the desire but not knowing where to start. I suggest beginning with St. Mark's Gospel, St. John's and the book of Acts so you can have a solid understanding of who Jesus is. Then read Genesis, Exodus, Isaiah, Proverbs and Psalms to have a round about sense of preparation of Man for the coming of the Lord Jesus. Go purchase the Orthodox Study Bible online or a good bookstore to give you a better  understanding of the Holy Bible with the mind of the Church. Hope this helps  ;D!

Glory to the Father+ and to the Son+ and to the Holy Spirit+, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
  • oo i have the same problem, but i think this is a very good solution

i dont know if your familiar with quiet time but, it's something quite popular in St. Mark's DC church i think they started this, im from St. Mary's md but we use it a whole lot too.

what it is, is it giives you a few verses fromt he bible daily to meditate on and just think about and pray that God gives you some kind of you know blessing from it i can give you the url its a pdf, you can print it out and use it daily i hope this helped. here is the link
    http://www.stmarkdc.org/images/stories/Handouts-Quiet_Time_Guide_2007.pdf
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=5673.msg75904#msg75904 date=1187813617]
    what it is, is it giives you a few verses fromt he bible daily to meditate on and just think about and pray that God gives you some kind of you know blessing from it i can give you the url its a pdf, you can print it out and use it daily i hope this helped. here is the link
    http://www.stmarkdc.org/images/stories/Handouts-Quiet_Time_Guide_2007.pdf

While I have absolutely nothing against "quet time" (I see it has done a lot for youth in the Coptic church here), it's worth noting that the Church has for centuries assigned readings from the Holy Scriptures to be read on a particular day.

Forgive me if I'm in error here, but I do not believe the readings assigned by the Quiet Time Guide correspond to those of the Church.

I would have thought it more beneficial to read the Bible in accordance with the Tradition of the Church, and Her holy Fathers and Mothers who have achieved union with Christ.
  • i understand what you mean, you mean following with the katamarous in a way.

if you look at it the quiet time guide ranges from very valuable verses through-out the whole entire bible, where as the katamaros only has readings from the new testament and psalms, and sometimes they repeat a lot but this guide gives you stuff for every day of the year to meditate on daily,

i also wanted to note that it is made up by the two amazing priests at St. Mark's (Abouna bishoy and abouna anthony) and all the servants that serve in the church so i think its very reliable:)
  • hello, i understand wat u meen, becuz i neva new hoow to read it b4/ but now, i can read it.  it takes tim and believe it or not u may understand things  that u neva though u would b4.  talk to ur FOC about this.  also, talk to God and tell him that u dont undertsand, and ask god for his wisdom.    try readinone verse at a time and think about it and try to understand a meaning.  everythime u read  the bible, u get a message!!

/
    mahareel
    plzz p4m Sister in Christ