why do we get cross tattoos

2»

Comments

• [quote author=davidschanter link=topic=5635.msg75689#msg75689 date=1187581440]
    Galatians 6:14-"But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

When the bible speaks against cutting or tattooing the body, it means that we should not defile it. The cross of our Lord Jesus Christ is something that we are actually encouraged, as it says in this verse, to boast in!
    It is perfectly fine to get a cross tattoo. Anything else is forbidden, whether it be a pretend face of a Christ, a declared saint by the church, or anything else so to speak. Its only the cross we are allowed to boast in.

great verse for the cross.
    but i don't think it can be used as a reason. because as was said before, the only reason and need for having a small cross on ur right hand is to identfy urself as a christian and the places u need to.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

That's the problem with just posting Bible verses.  They can be used to prove just about anything.  One thing we often forget is that we must look at the context surrounding a particular verse, not just in the text, but in history as well.  When someone quotes the verse from Leviticus as evidence that the Bible is against tattooing or marking or such, they forget the context.  First off the verse contains the clause 'for the dead'.  Clearly this is indicative of some sort of pagan ritual/practice common to the area/time and it was something God did not want the Jews to practice.  Why?  Because the Jews were God's chosen people and He wanted them to stand out from all the rest.  As such, He often forbade them from doing things that the surrounding pagan cultures practices.  In today's society, tattooing is often more a form of body art than it is a pagan ritual.  Thus, it has lost its original 'purpose' if you will.  When a person goes out to get tattooed, they often do so to show off.  In the case for a person who gets a cross tattoo, this could very well be the reason for it.  If this is the reason, then it is absolutely wrong to get the tattoo.  The cross is supposed to be a personal reminder to us of how valuable we are in God's eyes.  It is a sign of love and salvation.  I think there is a lot of symbolism behind getting the cross on the wrist of your right hand.  In the thread about the number 666, I had presented the idea that, in Revelation, people would get the number 666 'tattooed' on their foreheads and right hands as a symbol of the submission of their minds and authority (the right hand is often used to describe authority) to the Anti-Christ.  Thus, by extension, the cross tattoo on your wrist could also be symbolic of one submitting all authority to Christ.  The Cross should be a personal reminder to us and thus, getting a small cross tattoo should serve that purpose. 
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5635.msg75707#msg75707 date=1187615876]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

First off the verse contains the clause 'for the dead'.  Clearly this is indicative of some sort of pagan ritual/practice common to the area/time and it was something God did not want the Jews to practice.  Why?  Because the Jews were God's chosen people and He wanted them to stand out from all the rest.  As such, He often forbade them from doing things that the surrounding pagan cultures practices. 

First off, I would like to mention that the Galations verse of 6:14 is beautiful, but im not sure it means that we should go and expressly tattoo your body!
    I think the cross of Christ is here meant his sufferings and death on the cross, or the doctrine of salvation by a crucified Redeemer.

The cross of Christ is a good Christian's chief glory, and there is the greatest reason why we should glory in it, for to it we owe all our joys and hopes. If your prime reason to get a cross tatoo is to GLORIFY GOD, then perhaps it's ok for you to get it, otherwise im not sure if you will want to get one. Think, if I sin, while I have the cross tattooed on mybody, will this cross be used for the GLORY OF GOD?

Secondly, with respect to the leviticus verse, it says "..nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the lord" (Lev 19:28) In my perspective, the fact that he used the word "you" implies that he is no longer referring to the dead persons and the making of markings on the dead person, but he is now talking to living people, and telling them not to tattoo themselves.

Correct me if I am wrong!!

Doogie

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I think you misunderstood me.  The verse talks about what living people did (cutting and tattooing) in remembrance of the dead and/or some other pagan ritual(s).  Thus, the reason God forbade the Israelites from doing such acts was because of their pagan roots.  I do not believe that the cutting or tattooing was done on the dead person.  Rather, these acts were performed by the living on themselves.
  • [quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5635.msg75265#msg75265 date=1186562467]
    [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5635.msg75180#msg75180 date=1186447817]
    well the original reason why we get them (or so what i heard)
    was that during hte times of persecution many of the newbrons
    parents would be martyred and thus the paretns didnt wnat their
    children growing up any other religon other than Coptic Orthodox
    so they tattooed their wrists with Crosses so that the growing child will kno that he/she is a Christian

well yeah i agree with that.  they got it for that reason.  but now well, ppls get it for fun and theres nothing rong with that.  i dont think.  i neva got one and i kind of do.  but it hurts much more wen ur older than wen ur young.  so be caredfull..

/
    mahareel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ

• Hey mahraeel.... how are you doing sister?

hope everything is good and well.  :)
  • So, does it mean I shouldn't get a tatoo of another thing (even heavenly) ... except for the cross?

Why?

I don't see any reasonable explanation for it. Hmm.
  • I was planning to get this:

It is the "Lion of Judah".  The first meaning is supposed to apply to Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

Making Him just an example of a lion (there are others examples that He is setted as... like a dove, etc.. that's all i can think of right now)... but he is setted as a lion because I guess He is strong and the 'strongest' animal out there (plainly speaking). 

The full title is: MoA Anbessa Ze'emnegede Yehuda.  Or: Moa Lion from the Tribe of Judah.

The meaning is:  The Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah!

But unfortunately, the Rastafarian movement have applied this to King Hailessillasie the first in Ethiopia and worships him like a god, saying he will be back in judgement day and stuff like that.  ::) 

They say he also has David's blood (in turn Jesus blood in him lol) ... since Jesus came from David's blood since Virgin Mary was descendant of David, like in his prophecies he talked about her and even the suffering of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. 

But it is not true that hailessilassie has David's bloood through Queen Sheba and the wise King Solomon.  After qeen Sheba came back to Ethiopia, she held king Solomon's son: Minilik the first.  After that, and after few kings rulled for about 1000 or so (not sure the exact date).... the 'dynasty' was disconnected by another tribe from the highlands of EThiopia and after that it was lost.  But after 500 years or so, it was 'revived' miraculously lol and it was just one way of perhaps subjegating the people to their rule or just making one self feel important and happy. lol

The Rasafarians ... feel sorry for them.. they are just worshipping the wrong God. Hailessilasie said , i heard, that do not worship me... but the Rastas are hard headed and they kept on worshipping him until this day.  May God correct them from their wrong belief and religion; idoltry, and also one of the biggest sins.

AMEN.
  • well, my opinion is that you shouldnt, because as minagir said, you could only gget a cross to identify that your a Christian, and also nto to show it off. but if your not really encouraged not to get it, theres always your Father Of Confession (FOC)
  • heyy hailemikeal im fine.  l0l sry if i spelled ur name rong ;Dthats a big tatoo ask ur FOC first

/
    mahareel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • so speakin of tattoos
    My younger brohter's cross tattoo faded out
    and its lines are blown....so he wants to get it fixed or enhanced not enlarged by much just fixed
    call me hard headed.......but i told him not to only because i view it as a one time thing for a single purpose no matter how it looks?

opinions??
  • Also, because of terrorism and people not knowing the truth about Arabs, they assume that when you say that you are from Egypt, that you are a terrorist and that you are Islamic. If you show them the cross, then they will learn of the true religion you are, Coptic Orthodox Christianity.