Pha Nitenh

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Dear all,
I was listening to Pha Nitenh sung to Archangel Michael from two sources, Cantor Towfik, and Cantor Zaher (as minagir told me, he is Abba Raphael's cantor). Anyway, the hymn is completely different between both. Cantor Towfik begins the hymn as though he were singing "kata nikhoros" for Resurrection, although the tune is different afterwards. Cantor Zaher sings it in a completely different tune, which I don't think is common with any other hymn.
I have heard before that Cantor Towfik has his own style, and many people disagree about his. As he seems to have made up some melismata, or tunes when he is used to singing long hymns, and they call it "muharraqian style" after Virgin Mary's monastery in El Muharraq. By the way, I got both hymns from alhan.youthbishopric.com, and I would like to listen to your opinions.
God bless you and mention me in your prayers

Comments

• [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5478.msg72987#msg72987 date=1182427594]
    Dear all,
    I was listening to Pha Nitenh sung to Archangel Michael from two sources, Cantor Towfik, and Cantor Zaher (as minagir told me, he is Abba Raphael's cantor). Anyway, the hymn is completely different between both. Cantor Towfik begins the hymn as though he were singing "kata nikhoros" for Resurrection, although the tune is different afterwards. Cantor Zaher sings it in a completely different tune, which I don't think is common with any other hymn.
    I have heard before that Cantor Towfik has his own style, and many people disagree about his. As he seems to have made up some melismata, or tunes when he is used to singing long hymns, and they call it "muharraqian style" after Virgin Mary's monastery in El Muharraq. By the way, I got both hymns from alhan.youthbishopric.com, and I would like to listen to your opinions.
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers

yes there is 2 ways.
    if am not mistaken there is the muallem Tawfik way, and another as an Alexanderian way. i think people lean more towards the Alexanderian way, i tihnk thet's the way cantor zaher record. the Alexanderian way, called that way because recorded from a muallem from Alex, starts like Etav Eni-eskhay as you heard. thna i think the long Ari-epresvavin.
    now really muallem Tawfik is in fact so diffrent from Alexanderia so there would be diffrence. when i hear maullem Tawfik version i'll comment on it because i ahven't heard it for a while.
  • yeh mina is right. Most people learn it muallem malek's way. you can listen to this recording here: http://coptichymns.net/modules.php?name=Coptic_Media&op=modload&file=index&p=Coptic Hymns/Liturgical Coptic Hymns/Congregation Responses/Liturgy_of_the_Word

muallem tewfiks is completely a different school. You can also find this hymn the the HCOC's production of the liturgy of the word.

Tony
  • i have just heared both of them,they seem to be the same.i know there is another way that is chanted by cantor malak.our father told us once that the way of cantor tawfik is made up and the monks of el moharraq admit it.
    i think it is like the short version of etav e eni eskhai,i also heared that it was made up by cantor tawfik.
  • Dear all,
    Thanks for clarifying. I will go with Cantor Zaher's style (and I will try to listen to Cantor Malak's) when I learn the hymn. I won't go with Cantor Towfik. Just wish me luck with learning the hymn.
    God bless you all and mention me in your prayers