What's so bad about the Apple Tree?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

Going back to Genesis, i have a few questions:

Im just curious, why did God have this thing with the Apple Tree? WHat was so special about the Apple tree, that by eating from it, "mankind will surely perish"?

Where is the apple tree now?

Why even create the apple tree if it was dangerous for us?

Why even an apple tree, and not a pear or orange tree? What was so bad about that particular apple?? If that apple tree was sooo important, what kind of apple tree was it: Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, etc?? Surely that's important to know??

Also, a good christian friend asked this question, and im really lost for the answer.

Cheers

Comments

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I think a common misconception is that the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was an apple tree.  Going back to Genesis, it actually does not specify what kind of tree it was.  It just speaks about the fruit of the tree.

[quote=Genesis 3:1-6]1.  Now the serpent was more crafty than any other wild animal that the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God say, 'You shall not eat from any tree in the garden'?"
    2.  The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden;
    3.  but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden, nor shall you touch it, or you shall die.'"
    4.  But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not die;
    5.  for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
    6.  So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate.

That being said, how can one know if they are truly loved it this love is not tested?  The Tree was put in place as a test for man.  God wanted to see if man truly loved Him and would keep His commandments.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5445.msg72512#msg72512 date=1181819942]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I think a common misconception is that the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was an apple tree.  Going back to Genesis, it actually does not specify what kind of tree it was.  It just speaks about the fruit of the tree.

[quote=Genesis 3:1-6]1.    Now the serpent was more crafty than any other wild animal that the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God say, 'You shall not eat from any tree in the garden'?"
    2.  The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden;
    3.  but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden, nor shall you touch it, or you shall die.'"
    5.  for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
    6.  So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate.

That being said, how can one know if they are truly loved it this love is not tested?  The Tree was put in place as a test for man.  God wanted to see if man truly loved Him and would keep His commandments.

Brilliant answer!!!
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5445.msg72512#msg72512 date=1181819942]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote=Genesis 3:1-6]1.   Now the serpent was more crafty than any other wild animal that the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God say, 'You shall not eat from any tree in the garden'?"

great answer. like my own which i was about to post.
  • Great answer Κηφᾶς, couldn't have put it any better myself