Question form some artist in training

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hey everyone, I had this question on my mind for a while but never got to asking it. I'm an artist wanna be, and I'm actually doodling everyday for practice, especially this summer I have to get some portfolio pieces done to get accepted to the college I want, wither majoring in Fine arts or Architecture, but I just want to go to that school. My question is sometimes to fully draw something with proper proportions and dynamically, you have to understand the shape of the object your drwing or painting or even sculpting. Would it be a sin if I lay my eyes on nude males or females(Figure Drawing), to understand their shape and muscle deformation? I know in the bible it clearly states that you should not look at your brothers nakedness, and even if you lay your eyes lustfully on the opposite sex you commit adultery? My other question is how to stop that lustful nature when you are figure drawing the opposite sex? Thanks in advance, everyone. ;D

Comments

• Mike,

First of all, kudos on your dedication to becoming an artist. I have a particular respect for the field, and I do hope you excel in it.
    In regards to your dilemma, I would suggest the utmost formality. In other words, hire professional models who would be used to modeling nude and would thus alleviate any unnecessary tension. Maintain a strict business-like attitude. That is not to say that you can't converse with them, but make sure you both understand that it is a business relationship.
    Also, you should simply experiment with different methods that work to help you control your emotions. The most powerful method, of course, is prayer.

You have mine,

Taio
  • Dear fatcopticmike,
    Very interesting topic, and very relevant to some of the jobs that we do. I agree with every piece of advice EpNomos Taio gave you; stick to them please. There is another thing I would like to add. I, myself, being a doctor studied the female body parts in detail (perhaps more detail than you will do one day), and believe me, EpNomos Taio is spot on. My experience is that you first get to think too much over that same topic, until you get to the point that you are used to it: you won't even let your mind slip into thinking about lust, and beauty of the body. I know that in arts it is a bit different, as luckily enough (for you of course) my father is an artist as well. He told me that through his experience it is similar: at first you will always be thinking is it wrong, is it right? what should I do? and so on. Let me then, give you some tips as well, which may be a bit difficult in your situation (that is to add to EpNomos Taio):
    1- When you want to copy down a part of the body, get a picture of only that part: not the whole figure of a nude female (which will happen often anyway; but at least not always)
    2- Get pictures of females that least distract you from your profession (like those with an ugly face for example; well that should prove very challenging indeed)
    3- When you get tired of drawing, let yourself out of the whole thing: go read the Bible, watch TV, do anything, so that you don't brood over those pictures (and please don't tell yourself "oh well, I am practising by watching, as well as I am practising by drawing")
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers
  • Wow, thank you guys for responding, you gave me better advice then I hoped for, and I really love the Professionalism approach that both of you mentioned. To be quite honest, this really helped me and for any future figure drawings or nude drawings, I will defiantly try to maintain that mentality of professionalism and I really hope I become to the level that this is all normal and no emotions stir. Thank you guys again you truly did help me.
  • hmm.. i'm not sure where I stand on this..

du really have to draw nudes?
  • [quote author=fatcopticmike link=topic=5443.msg72493#msg72493 date=1181757032]
    Hey everyone, I had this question on my mind for a while but never got to asking it. I'm an artist wanna be, and I'm actually doodling everyday for practice, especially this summer I have to get some portfolio pieces done to get accepted to the college I want, wither majoring in Fine arts or Architecture, but I just want to go to that school. My question is sometimes to fully draw something with proper proportions and dynamically, you have to understand the shape of the object your drwing or painting or even sculpting. Would it be a sin if I lay my eyes on nude males or females(Figure Drawing), to understand their shape and muscle deformation? I know in the bible it clearly states that you should not look at your brothers nakedness, and even if you lay your eyes lustfully on the opposite sex you commit adultery? My other question is how to stop that lustful nature when you are figure drawing the opposite sex? Thanks in advance, everyone. ;D

How to stop a lustful nature when drawing the opposite sex?? Lol

Basically, as an artist, when you draw the female body, surely you should see it with an eye of appreciation? not lust?? Lust is where u fantasize what u do with that body. I know its hard... cos, its kinda animal instinct.

I think its unhealthy to draw a picture of naked lady if you find yourself lusting after her. I mean, a doctor , a gynaelcologist in particular does not have this problem. Its his job. Its also your job, and you have to learn to be professional, and not allow your personal life (i.e. being a horny male LOL!!!) interefere with your professional life (a wannabe die hard artist)!!!!

It shouldn't be that hard!! Summer is here, and everywhere u look, women are already half naked.. so... either we come to terms with this, otherwise enta hateta3aab keda.