how do you recognize..

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
how can you recognize coptic orthodix songs from catholic songs like am talking about arabic songs..cuz i pucked out about 13 songs for choir and i sent them to abouna and he's like these are all catholic songs we can't say them..any help?!

GBU
sandra

Comments

• [quote author=sandrahanna link=topic=5355.msg71321#msg71321 date=1179965968]
    how can you recognize coptic orthodix songs from catholic songs like am talking about arabic songs..cuz i pucked out about 13 songs for choir and i sent them to abouna and he's like these are all catholic songs we can't say them..any help?!

if they have anything that counterdicts our faith in general.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Could you provide an example of a 'Catholic' song that contradicts the faith?
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5355.msg71330#msg71330 date=1180006544]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Could you provide an example of a 'Catholic' song that contradicts the faith?

is that a question for mee??? because if it is....i really don't know any specific ones.

This is more of a general question directed at those who happen to know an example of a Catholic song that happens to contradict the faith.
  • i really don't know anything specific cuz abouna took the cd but it had some popular songs which i don't think it has anything to contradict the faith by any means..like songs by lolo samir(dnt know her real name but she's protestant) and better life isn't orthodox either(atleast thats wat i know of) and also there were some beautiful songs on there that were sung by many diff. coptic churches but i dnt know why abouna said no about them.. But if it doesn't have anything to do with our faith then why can't we sing them in our churches?

GBU
    sandra

But if it doesn't have anything to do with our faith then why can't we sing them in our churches?

I think this boils down to personal taste and the priest in charge of a particular church.  Some people have no problem with some of the protestant songs and others do, simply because they are protestant. 
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=topic=5355.msg71336#msg71336 date=1180024865]
    and better life isn't orthodox either(atleast thats wat i know of)

yes they are not orthodox....even thoo for some reason they call themselves copts sometimes and on their myspace i saw once story about they orgin which refers back to us

and also there were some beautiful songs on there that were sung by many diff. coptic churches but i dnt know why abouna said no about them.. But if it doesn't have anything to do with our faith then why can't we sing them in our churches?

i think they might have the worldly tune to it. like some songs yes have great words about god and everything (like many gospel songs) but they're just not spiritual enough. i think vassilios spoke about this before and actually Κηφς i think was part of that post. 
  • so you guyz think it goes back to the priest and his opinion?!
    How am i suppose to recognize a random song before i get it, cuz am suppose to make another cd  :'(

GBU
    sandra
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=topic=5355.msg71344#msg71344 date=1180026984]
    so you guyz think it goes back to the priest and his opinion?!

well do you have any other solution......
  • i know it all depends on him in choosing and i have nothing to say about that..but how do i know if random songs are co or no

GBU
    sandra

I suppose what you could do is find the lyrics to a particular song that may be ' questionable' and let your priest read over them.  While I personally feel this is a bit silly, it seems that your priest does wish to be actively involved in what his flock listens to in church, so this would probably be the best solution.
  • why don`t u try chosing some old songs ?!
    i think they will be acceptable rather than the new ones which mostly don`t have the same spiritualty and deepness of the old songs.
  • i got some off the saint mina holmdel website..but its very hard to find old songs AND they have to be appropriate for a priest ordination.

GBU
    sandra
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=topic=5355.msg71386#msg71386 date=1180101877]
    i got some off the saint mina holmdel website..but its very hard to find old songs AND they have to be appropriate for a priest ordination.

priest ordanation....wow....i don't think you'll find much especially in english. find arabic and than translate.
  • We got the english already but we're missing the arabic!
    Tab any help? Any idea of what songs would be suitable?

GBU
    sandra