So I heard...

I Heard from a Bishop in Egypt
that there were Popes who were married
I know this is true as for:

St. Ananius (the shoemaker who fixed St. Mark's shoe)
and
St. Demetrius (the Vinedresser) who kept his virginity w/ his wife
(Both these he mentioned)

He also mentioned another example but never stated his name:

Can anyone clarify this, also does anyone know when did the Coptic Church come up with the rule regarding a Pope's or a Bishop's Celibacy?

Thanks and God Bless

Comments

• the church said once it would be better if a bishop is not married so he can fix his thoughts for the church only and so he has not the problems with spending time with family and so on...thats a reason....what the other reasons are id ont know
  • It has long been Orthodox practice that whilst priests can be married, bishops, who should be monks, have to be celibate; this practice goes back far into the early Church, and certainly by the third century it was common practice.

The reason is that the bishop is the father of his people and should not have competing loyalties; he has to be devoted to all the people.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • So why do priests get married ?
  • Again, the sort answer it that it is our tradition. Indeed, it was not until the 11th century that the Roman Catholics stopped allowing priests to marry.

I think there are restrictions on whether a priest can re marry should his wife die, but would welcome comment from someone more knowledgeable.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5326.msg71178#msg71178 date=1179674740]
    I think there are restrictions on whether a priest can re marry should his wife die

This is correct. Priests cannot marry. Once a person is ordained, marriage is prohibited.

Someone already married can, however, become a priest.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5326.msg71181#msg71181 date=1179675552]
    [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5326.msg71178#msg71178 date=1179674740]
    I think there are restrictions on whether a priest can re marry should his wife die

This is correct. Priests cannot marry. Once a person is ordained, marriage is prohibited.

Someone already married can, however, become a priest.

Actually, in the Coptic Church, to be ordained a priest, you should be married. The reasoning of the COC is that a priest's duty lies within a community. THe community is built of married people and children. If he himself had not the same lifestyle as those he was serving how then could he know what their problems were??? As u can see, a celebate monk would not give the same advice NOR understand what married life was like as a married priest.

Its obvious. One monk, as I mentioned, said that if a woman committed adultary and confessed it, she shouldnt tell her husband. A married priest would not see things this way at all.

Monks were not meant to serve in communities, they were meant for monastic life, in solitude and prayer. Priests were made for serving a community, and being part of that community; having similar problems with those they are serving, not only being an example for them, but understanding completely their aspirations and difficulties having the same social standing as the rest of the community.
  • I heard that too, but there are some rare cases for example
    Bishop Bolous I belive was a (non-wed) priest for I remember reading in one of the earlier Kerazza Magazines about him as a priest (not a monk b/c his last name was stated plus he wasnt wearing the eskeem) and also my mother's friend in New York goes to a Coptic Church served by a celibate (non-wed) priest not a monk.

The reason I say non-wed, instead of celibate is because Father Bishoy Kamel, was married but remained celibate.

God Bless
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5326.msg71186#msg71186 date=1179681835]
    I heard that too, but there are some rare cases for example
    Bishop Bolous I belive was a (non-wed) priest for I remember reading in one of the earlier Kerazza Magazines about him as a priest (not a monk b/c his last name was stated plus he wasnt wearing the eskeem) and also my mother's friend in New York goes to a Coptic Church served by a celibate (non-wed) priest not a monk.

No Bishop can marry. yes a married man can become a monk after his wife's death but than not become a priest or a bishop.
    as for priests, as it was said before, priest cannot marry. but there is those who want to be ordained monks but their church decided to choose them for priesthood. the person you're talking about is i think Fr. Ibrahim from St. Mina's church. he was ordained a priest without marrying but the reason for that was he was more for the youth.