Relics of Saint Mark

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I've been reading a book called "two thousand years of Coptic Christianity" and the author claimed that in 1968 when Baba Kyrillos asked for the body of Saint Mark in 1968 we only got a small particle of a bone. I then did some research on the net and found the following out:

"June 1968, Pope Cyril VI of Alexandria sent an official delegation to Rome to receive a relic of St. Mark from Pope Paul VI. The delegation consisted of ten metropolitans and bishops, seven of whom were Coptic and three Ethiopian, and three prominent Coptic lay leaders. The relic was said to be a small piece of bone that had been given to the Roman pope by Giovanni Cardinal Urbani, Patriarch of Venice. Pope Paul, in an address to the delegation, said that the rest of the relics of the saint remained in Venice. The delegation received the relic on June 22, 1968. The next day, the delegation celebrated a pontifical liturgy in the church of St. Athanasius the Apostolic in Rome. The metropolitans, bishops, and priests of the delegation all served in the liturgy. Members of the Roman papal delegation, Copts who lived in Rome, newspaper and news agency reporters, and many foreign dignitaries attended the liturgy."

I was always under the impression we got the whole body back in 1968 (excluding the head which we already had). Can anyone clarify this? Is it true we only got a tiny relic in 1968 and not the whole body?

Ma salaama,

Matt

Comments

• [quote author=matt88 link=topic=5306.msg70815#msg70815 date=1178768851]
    I was always under the impression we got the whole body back in 1968 (excluding the head which we already had). Can anyone clarify this? Is it true we only got a tiny relic in 1968 and not the whole body?

well that's what had happend we can't change. actually even that part that we got in 1968, we got from the Pope of Rome, not from the church where the body was hidden.

but i really don't think it's that important. if we really want to take his blessings, st.Mark, we ought to act upon and keep what he gave us through his bible, and our coptic church. St. Mark's seat still there in his church (the coptic church as a whole), which to me, makes him alive and sitting on it all the time. am sure you heard about how Pope Kerrolos not setting much on St. Mark's seat because he used to see him sitting there.
  • Sure, thanks Minagir for clarifying that for me.. To be honest im disappointed because i know the story (as we all do) of how Saint Mark's body was stolen from Egypt and so he rightly belongs in our churches.. But you also right in saying about it not being too important..

Either way, im glad i know that we dont have his entire body.

Ma salaama,

Matt