WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE ARCH-ANGELS?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I was on "fact site" today...and something interesting crossed my path, the fact read:

* Gabriel, Michael and Lucifer (more commonly known as Satan) are the only 3 angels to be named in the Bible.

Wheather or Not this is True, I don't know, However, I do know that there are Seven Arch-Angels according to the Coptic Church, who are:

-Michael
-Gabriel
-Raphael
-Souriel
-Sadakiel
-Sarathiel
-Ananiel.

Does anyone know if they are/aren't mentioned in the Holy Bible, and If they aren't can someone explain how we know them and how we know their exact names?

Thanks,

God Bless

Comments

• [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5294.msg70737#msg70737 date=1178652575]
    I was on "fact site" today...and something interesting crossed my path, the fact read:

* Gabriel, Michael and Lucifer (more commonly known as Satan) are the only 3 angels to be named in the Bible.

Wheather or Not this is True, I don't know, However, I do know that there are Seven Arch-Angels according to the Coptic Church, who are:

-Michael
    -Gabriel
    -Raphael
    -Souriel
    -Sadakiel
    -Sarathiel
    -Ananiel.

great quesion....
    i know Raphael is mentioned in the Book of Tobit (link)

not sure about the rest.
    but there is 7 archangels as it is listed in the book of Zechariah the prophet.
  • I know for sure that Raphael is named in the Book of Tobit in the Old Testament. Uriel and Jeremiel are named in the second book of Esdras. I'm not sure about the others; I think they're listed in the apocryphal book of Enoch, which is included in the Bible by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

In any case, we are not Protestants. The Bible is our main source of revelation, but it is by no means our only one.
  • In case your Bible doesn't have the books I'm talking about, you can get them here:

http://etext.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/enoch.html
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5294.msg70741#msg70741 date=1178654916]
    In case your Bible doesn't have the books I'm talking about, you can get them here:

http://etext.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/enoch.html

i uderstnad where Souriel, Sadakiel and may be also Ananiel (when u maybe change the letters a little to match the coptic names).

but where is Sarathiel....?!
  • I've asked this question to a lot of priests, and the only answer I got was that we received these names from the Jewish tradition...maybe the names are mentioned in some kind of encyclopedia on Judaïsm!?
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5294.msg70744#msg70744 date=1178655670]
    I've asked this question to a lot of priests, and the only answer I got was that we received these names from the Jewish tradition...maybe the names are mentioned in some kind of encyclopedia on Judaïsm!?

if wikipedia is correct the Jews call them:

[table][tr][td]        [/td][td]
    Gabriel, Michael, Raphael, Uriel, Raguel, Sariel, and Jerahmeel.
    Gabriel and Michael are mentioned in the book of Daniel, Raphael in the book of Tobit (from the Protestant Apocrypha or Catholic and Orthodox Deuterocanon) and the remaining four in the book of Enoch from the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha (considered canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox).[/td][/tr][/table]

also not sure about the book of Enochin our Coptic Church.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5294.msg70745#msg70745 date=1178655987]

It's a Jewish writing dating from around the time of Christ. It is quoted in the Epistle of Jude, which is the reason it has been given some importance within the Church. This does not mean it is on par with the divinely inspired books of Scripture, but nevertheless it has an important literary value, which is why the Ethiopians thought it acceptable to include it in the canon of the Bible.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5294.msg70759#msg70759 date=1178668726]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5294.msg70745#msg70745 date=1178655987]

It's a Jewish writing dating from around the time of Christ. It is quoted in the Epistle of Jude, which is the reason it has been given some importance within the Church. This does not mean it is on par with the divinely inspired books of Scripture, but nevertheless it has an important literary value, which is why the Ethiopians thought it acceptable to include it in the canon of the Bible.

any other info about the text of the book. am just trying to see why didn't our church, the Coptic church say anything about it. even thoo we are in unity with the Ethiopian church.