Drug Addiction

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Of course i understand that the church believes that drugs are bad in general because you harm "your" body and you have to follow laws of the land. But can anybody give me references from the bible or and church writings about drug addiction

Comments

• We must remember that 'drugs' as we know them were not around in Biblical times, but all the warnings against the sins of the body are relevant here. We have to remember that our body is the temple of the Lord and we must not abuse it. The following two quotations from St. Paul seem most relevant:

1 Corinthians 6 : 19-20:

6:19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
    6:20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's

Romans 6: 12-14:

6:12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
    6:13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
    6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

I am sure there are other good verses. But do remember that the tradition of the Church, which has always taught against excesses of the body, is also most relevant here.

In Christ,

John