Baptism

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,
Does everyone agree that when we are baptised , we are dead and resurrected with Jesus Christ?
So, in that case, our baptism is a re-inactment of Christ's death and resurrection. Its a bit like us imitating the "Good Thief".

When Jesus was baptised in the Jordon by John The Baptist, then what significance / efficacy is there for us in this ? And also what then is the relationship between His baptism in the river Jordon with our Baptism??

If someone could explain these points, it would be wonderful...

Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5200.msg69674#msg69674 date=1176415024]
    Hello,
    Does everyone agree that when we are baptised , we are dead and resurrected with Jesus Christ?
    So, in that case, our baptism is a re-inactment of Christ's death and resurrection. Its a bit like us imitating the "Good Thief".

yes we are resurrected with Him.

When Jesus was baptised in the Jordon by John The Baptist, then what significance / efficacy is there for us in this ? And also what then is the relationship between His baptism in the river Jordon with our Baptism??

First Ephiphany is not the only significance of the day. i would like to refar to the feast as Theophany, the appereance of the Holy Trinity.
    second Jesus did this to set an exmaple for us since He said no one will be saved with out Baptism.
    third, baptism in the jorden was throught water, urs is through water.
  • Perhaps if i simplify/change my question:

During the baptism (paedobaptism) of any child in our CHurch, is this procedure we do from the time Christ was baptised, or is it a re-inactment of His Death and Resurrection???

What do u all think???

• [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5200.msg69686#msg69686 date=1176453636]
    Perhaps if i simplify/change my question:

During the baptism (paedobaptism) of any child in our CHurch, is this procedure we do from the time Christ was baptised, or is it a re-inactment of His Death and Resurrection???

please clearfy ur question. it sound like 2 diffrent things. in our church, baptism is an act, in that act the person dies and resurrects with Christ.
  • [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

Baptism is symbolic of death and resurrection in Christ.  This is clear in the writings of St. Paul where he says:

Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
    -- Romans 6:4

and

having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
    -- Colossians 2:12

The triple immersion practiced by the Orthodox churches was handed down by the Apostles who got this teaching from Christ Himself.  You will recall the formula that Christ gave in baptizing people:

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.  "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
    -- Matthew 28:18-20

In the case of Christ's baptism, His was not triple immersion.  The purpose of His baptism was to set the example for us, and it was also the manifestation of the Trinity (hence it is often called the Feast of Theophany, or manifestation of God).
  • [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

I found this article by H.G. Bishop Mettaous which I hope you will find useful.
  • Thanks Knfoc,

Mina, the question was quite straight-forward:
    When a person is baptised, this is a re-inactment of the death and resurrection with Christ? U agree?

Does this have ANYTHING to do with when Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist in the river Jordan??

[quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5200.msg69702#msg69702 date=1176475795]
    [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

Baptism is symbolic of death and resurrection in Christ.  This is clear in the writings of St. Paul where he says:

Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
    -- Romans 6:4

and

having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
    -- Colossians 2:12

The triple immersion practiced by the Orthodox churches was handed down by the Apostles who got this teaching from Christ Himself.  You will recall the formula that Christ gave in baptizing people:

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.  "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
    -- Matthew 28:18-20

In the case of Christ's baptism, His was not triple immersion.  The purpose of His baptism was to set the example for us, and it was also the manifestation of the Trinity (hence it is often called the Feast of Theophany, or manifestation of God).
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5200.msg69784#msg69784 date=1176602737]
    Thanks Knfoc,

Mina, the question was quite straight-forward:
    When a person is baptised, this is a re-inactment of the death and resurrection with Christ? U agree?

Does this have ANYTHING to do with when Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist in the river Jordan??

LOL, of course it does. what's the origin of baptism?!!!!!!!!!!!

and i don't think it have to do with us re inacting with the death. when you sayreenacting, you mean we were but now we just do it again or we cemmorate it again. but that's not baptism since u only die and resurrecte with Christ as one of HIs.
  • When we are baptised, we are sanctified by the water, through which we die and rise again with Christ.

When Christ was baptised, He, being holy, sanctified the water.