Translating Coptic hymns

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Dear all,
I would just like to have your opinion on this topic. What do you think is the point of arabicising or anglicising Coptic hymns? I actually find it very silly of the servants in our Coptic Orthodox Church to just say "Coptic is a difficult language"; I am not in favour of speaking Coptic as a language, but I strongly do favour us not to lose our Coptic blessed heritage, that heritage which was only retained through the ages by the Holy Spirit. I will stop here, and wait to hear your opinions. God bless you all and please mention my name in your prayers.

Comments

• [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5154.msg69196#msg69196 date=1175277689]
    Dear all,
    I would just like to have your opinion on this topic. What do you think is the point of arabicising or anglicising Coptic hymns? I actually find it very silly of the servants in our Coptic Orthodox Church to just say "Coptic is a difficult language"; I am not in favour of speaking Coptic as a language, but I strongly do favour us not to lose our Coptic blessed heritage, that heritage which was only retained through the ages by the Holy Spirit. I will stop here, and wait to hear your opinions. God bless you all and please mention my name in your prayers.

this would help:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=5084.0
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5154.msg69196#msg69196 date=1175277689]
    Dear all,

How do we arabicise or Anglicise hymns ? Do u mean when we translate them? WHat's wrong with that? For example: Epshoise Evnoti (O Lord of Hosts) is Ayhol Rub il kowat, its totally legit. Its psalm 83 in English. its quite a beautiful prayer in fact.

Agios Otheos - this is greek - its not even Coptic, and we sing it always in Greek in the Coptic Church - we're NEVER gonna sing Agios otheos in English.

What exactly did u wanna do with the coptic language?

ANd Well for someone who wants us to remember your in our prayers, you picked a fine hard name for us to remember!
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5154.msg69203#msg69203 date=1175281163]
    [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5154.msg69196#msg69196 date=1175277689]
    Dear all,

How do we arabicise or Anglicise hymns ? Do u mean when we translate them? WHat's wrong with that? For example: Epshoise Evnoti (O Lord of Hosts) is Ayhol Rub il kowat, its totally legit. Its psalm 83 in English. its quite a beautiful prayer in fact.

Agios Otheos - this is greek - its not even Coptic, and we sing it always in Greek in the Coptic Church - we're NEVER gonna sing Agios otheos in English.

What exactly did u wanna do with the coptic language?

ANd Well for someone who wants us to remember your in our prayers, you picked a fine hard name for us to remember!

what he means is take the tune of coptic hymns and put them on english or arabic words. please correct me if am wrong ophadece.
  • Dear minagir,
    Thanks very much for sending the link of that thread. I didn't realise that the same thread was posted before, but thank you, and thanks as well for your strong opinions (which I don't think many other members do support). I have got the same here; a Mass in Arabic and another in English.
    Dear Vassilios,
    The link that minagir sent was actually the topic I wanted to talk about, and what I meant was the hymns "whether Coptic or Greek". I just meant the original heritage that the Copts handed down to us, which we are giving away so easily because of our laze and ignorance, and if I go even further to say, because of me as a servant in the first place. If it would make it easier, mention my real name Fady, rather than ophadece; if that is too difficult. God bless you all, and mention my name in your prayers.
  • Ok look they change the language so the people unterstand what we say and that they do not get bored that is what it comes down to.
  • Dear ChristIsMySaviour,
    I am not sure if you know that the tune of Coptic (or Greek) hymns actuall provide a meaning for what is said. But, I am quite sure that you notice the difference in the tunes when you translate them; if you haven't done for some, here are examples for you to compare Arabic (or English that is based on Arabic unfortunately) with the original Coptic tune; just a few:
    1. Tenhos erof (we worship you), which is the response after the Nicene Creed; well, in Arabic they even added two words to match the original tune.
    2. Ere bouesmou ethouab (may their holy blessings), both in Arabic and English, they repeat "glory to you O Lord" so that we even lose the whole purpose of the Trinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3. Wcberin kai icte ictin (as it was, so shall it be); obviously in Arabic and in English, the future is different than the past (that is how the Arabic tune is composed), so we just spoilt the meaning of the words altogether.
    4. Last, and not the least, the Nicene Creed itself.
    I won't go in detail why this happened from my point of view, but I think you are smart enough to understand my point anyway.
    God bless you and please mention my name in your prayers

• The gospel have to be said in it's tune. there is a verse for that and a rite in our church...can;t remeber where exactly.

also ya3ny you left the whole liturgy hymns and ur complainging on the gospel said in it's tune.

also the gospel is as holy as the comunion time. comunion is when Christ appears in his body and blood , in the gospel He appears in His Word.

• Dear minagir,
    I don't think I understand the point you are making. Is it a reply to what I said earlier or what? Please mention me in your prayers.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5154.msg69448#msg69448 date=1176066590]
    Dear minagir,
    I don't think I understand the point you are making. Is it a reply to what I said earlier or what? Please mention me in your prayers.

oh am sorry for that. that should f been a normal reply for the post. i'll edit it.