Chronicles

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Ok, What exactly is the purpose of the chronologies in first and second Chronicles. What spiritual benefit is to be attained from the many chapters featuring nothing but names and dates? Is this only a history or is there any symbolic meaning to these two books?

Comments

• the old testament is broken up into four sections;
    1)The Law
    2) the prophets
    3) The History
    4) Wisdom

chronicles falls under history
  • But shouldn't it also have some spiritual importance?
  • Well firstly history is more than dates and record of events, history is our past and has always influenced our present day. As with every book in the bible, there is always something to be learnt and as you say has a spiritual connection.

The Books of Kings and Chronicles tell us that many of the kings of Judah and Israel fell into the worship of idols. The power of the devil appears also in overthrowing Solomon the wise into the worship of idols. (H.H. POPE SHENOUDA III)

When King Xerxes read the book of the chronicles, the record of his reign, his soul was influenced by what he read. And that proved to be the reason for the salvation of the entire people. (Esther ch.6). Events inspired certain feelings, which led to spiritually-guided actions in those who were influenced by them. I wish that we too would reflect on how the hand of God acts in all that happens to us, and around us, both as individuals and as groups.
    We can learn about God by seeing how He acts, how and when He intervenes, how He changes bad into good, and how He arranges the affairs of the world in wisdom, combining the freedom which He gives to man, with divine determination, which sets up justice on earth.
    We can learn lessons from God's care and concern, from God's justice, and from His patience and long-sufferings. (H.H. POPE SHENOUDA III)

Its important to have an awareness of history as it guides and assists you when reading the rest of the bible, its not essential but sometimes its good to be aware and more importantly look at these events or stories and think about how they relate to you or what can be learnt yani what is God trying to tell you?? As they say we learn from the past or history.

I hope I answered your question, I know sometimes I tend to waffle so tell me if im not clear enough or have discussed irrelevant stuff
  • OK, but what about the chapters full of "this guy begot this guy...etc."
    there are some genealogies that are not related to that of Christ; what is the purpose of those?
  • ok im going to throw the question bak at you...........why not include the who begot whom?...........how does it not relate to christ?
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem ehmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=EpNomos EnTaio link=topic=5032.msg68158#msg68158 date=1172909353]
    OK, but what about the chapters full of "this guy begot this guy...etc."
    there are some genealogies that are not related to that of Christ; what is the purpose of those?

The purpose of the geneologies in Matthew's and Luke's Gospel's is to illustrate the fact that Jesus is a descendant of Abraham and David.  One of the criteria of the Messiah is that he would be a descendant of David and would reestablish his kingdom.  Matthew and Luke were aiming their gospels at the Jews in particular and so they wanted to illustrate to them that Christ fulfilled one of the criteria of being the Messiah.

Please pray for me.
  • I know that the chronologies in Mathew are relating to the genealogy of Christ, but i was referring to those found in the books of Chronicles, which are more like a census than anything. They do not seem to me to be of any use.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

My bad.  Going back to your original post, the purpose of 1 and 2 Chronicles is purely history.

Please pray for me.