Hymn for the great lent lyrics

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Does anyone have the text for this hymn in English?

The one that goes "Blessed are those who have mercy, who give to the power and fast and pray........"

Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=Sinner3712 link=topic=5026.msg67950#msg67950 date=1172249607]
    Does anyone have the text for this hymn in English?

The one that goes "Blessed are those who have mercy, who give to the power and fast and pray........"

Thanks

This is only the main refrain for almost all the Lent communion melodies. So here are the Lent communion melodies. You can choose what you want.

Fasts/The Great Lent/Communion Melodies

• Great, thank you.

Do you happen to have the one that starts of "Moses fasted for 40 days to be purified........"
    This "version" of it:
    http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?s=Divine_Liturgies/St._Mark_Washington_DC,_Liturgy_of_St._Cyril/15-hymn_for_the_great_lent.mp3
  • [quote author=Sinner3712 link=topic=5026.msg67952#msg67952 date=1172250169]
    Great, thank you.

Do you happen to have the one that starts of "Moses fasted for 40 days to be purified........"
    This "version" of it:
    http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?s=Divine_Liturgies/St._Mark_Washington_DC,_Liturgy_of_St._Cyril/15-hymn_for_the_great_lent.mp3

I think that's another small one for all of lent. It can be found here: Lent Communion Melodies, 1st page.This file have all the melodies for the weeks that are translated from the arabic. Differnet from the ones shown in the previoous link i posted.
  • would that be the same hymn as: blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy and christ will forgive them in judgement.....and so on..

if not...please post up the lyrics and audio if possible

GBU
    WHY
  • [quote author=why link=topic=5026.msg67963#msg67963 date=1172311492]
    would that be the same hymn as: blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy and christ will forgive them in judgement.....and so on..
    if not...please post up the lyrics and audio if possible

GBU
    WHY

They can be considered the same. The thing is that the one you wrote above, is literlly translatad  from the arabic. Actually not fully, the literll one is may be this:

"Blessed are those who have mercy upon the poor,
    That mercy shall dwell upon them,
    And Christ may have mercy upon them on Judgement day,
    And dwell with His Holy Spirit in them."
    (This would be my own translation)

So it really wouldn't sound good if you're chanting it in communion. Also since you can't always translated the same from arabic, there wouldn't be any point of tanslating. So a while ago, someone from a church here just was able to develop lent melodies that rhyme and make since in the same time. Those ones are the ones that are here on the First link above called, "Fasts/The Great Lent/Communion Melodies."
  • In our Church we sing it:

Blessed are those who have mercy
    who give to the poor and fast and pray
    The Holy Spirit will fill their hearts
    the Son will show them mercy on Judgement Day
  • I agree with JY that is how my church sings it too... If anyone has the WHOLE song of Blessed are those... can you please post it. By whole entire i mean every weak including fasting and prayer and the fraction of lent
  • [quote author=LifeinChrist link=topic=5026.msg68014#msg68014 date=1172447290]
    I agree with JY that is how my church sings it too... If anyone has the WHOLE song of Blessed are those... can you please post it. By whole entire i mean every weak including fasting and prayer and the fraction of lent

hmmmm, it was listed above!!.

anyway they're here: Fasts/The Great Lent/Communion Melodies

• sorry i shouldve been clearer i meant the audio...
  • [quote author=LifeinChrist link=topic=5026.msg68016#msg68016 date=1172455982]
    sorry i shouldve been clearer i meant the audio...

oh. Well until now there's no one who have recorded it.