Church calendars

hey everyone i got into a massive argument wif a acatholic on wat calendar his church is based on i was wonderin if i was wrong or right wen i said they follow the julian calendar if not plz explain .. help will be gr8ly appreciated

thanx
ur sinful servant Mark

Comments

• [quote author=heavenly_mark link=board=4;threadid=4946;start=0#msg66977 date=1170390810]
    hey everyone i got into a m***ive argument wif a acatholic on wat calendar his church is based on i was wonderin if i was wrong or right wen i said they follow the julian calendar if not plz explain .. help will be gr8ly appreciated

thanx
    ur sinful servant Mark

The Catholic Church follows the Gregorian calendar, not the Julian one.

The Coptic Church, I think, follows the pharonic calendar, but dates for feasts correspond to those on the Julian calendar, which is used by the majority of the Orthodox.
  • yep Catholic follows Gregorian (used to be Julian i think) but there was confusion between the use of the sun and the use of the moon for when Easter comes (you are supposed to use the moon because that is how you know when the passover is and then you can calculate the date of the feast)-thats what we do ;D
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=board=4;threadid=4946;start=0#msg67331 date=1170974993]
    [quote author=heavenly_mark link=board=4;threadid=4946;start=0#msg66977 date=1170390810]
    hey everyone i got into a m***ive argument wif a acatholic on wat calendar his church is based on i was wonderin if i was wrong or right wen i said they follow the julian calendar if not plz explain .. help will be gr8ly appreciated

thanx
    ur sinful servant Mark

The Catholic Church follows the Gregorian calendar, not the Julian one.

The Coptic Church, I think, follows the pharonic calendar, but dates for feasts correspond to those on the Julian calendar, which is used by the majority of the Orthodox.

the church follows the coptic calender which is based on the pheronic calender with the change of it's beginning day which was the day when the martyrs ages ended. now the feasts are done according to the coptic calendar. put it appears like they are done on the Julian becasuse mostly the days in coptic, land on the same days of the Jolian. btw, in the Nician Counsil, it was agreed that the Pope of Alexanderia, the Coptic Pope will be in charge of the dates of the feasts and that his jop is to than spread the word to all the other churchs. am sure you knew that Orthodox11.