Hate Crimes towards Copts

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everyone I'm writing about hate crimes towards copts all over the world. I was wondering if you can help me out and tell me where you stand on this topic. Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg66949 date=1170349447]
    Hey everyone I'm writing about hate crimes towards copts all over the world. I was wondering if you can help me out and tell me where you stand on this topic. Thanks

Christ's crucification and death!!!
  • i dont get it
  • wel its simple.. hate crime stowards copts has made us what we are today...

it makes us ferverent in what we beiieve in and gives us several opportunities to show what chrisitanity is all about

on the other side i think they have no right to lay a single hand on a human based on their difference in religon..its just not right...
  • [quote author=why link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67090 date=1170584663]
    wel its simple.. hate crime stowards copts has made us what we are today...

it makes us ferverent in what we beiieve in and gives us several opportunities to show what chrisitanity is all about

on the other side i think they have no right to lay a single hand on a human based on their difference in religon..its just not right...

then why do you think that muslims can kill and harrass us and we can't do anything about it? and why is it ok for American's to harrass us because they think that we're muslims and they know that muslims are horrible people?
    why shouldn't we do something about it??
    i know that god has tought us to love everyone especially you enemy. but what they are doing is over and beyond. i see my loved ones dying everyday because of muslims stupid choices. before you know it the whole coptic orthodox religion will be wipped out off of the face of the earth. and as human being we can't just stand there and do something about it. if it was back in the day when el kedeseen were tourchered and killed because of the name of god, it would be fine. but these people are killing us not just to convert, but they even enjoy killing. and if the government isn't going to do anything about it. i think we should. don't you??
  • [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67149 date=1170780757]
    [quote author=why link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67090 date=1170584663]

then why do you think that muslims can kill and harr*** us and we can't do anything about it? and why is it ok for American's to harr*** us because they think that we're muslims and they know that muslims are horrible people?
    i know that god has tought us to love everyone especially you enemy. but what they are doing is over and beyond. i see my loved ones dying everyday because of muslims stupid choices. before you know it the whole coptic orthodox religion will be wipped out off of the face of the earth. and as human being we can't just stand there and do something about it. if it was back in the day when el kedeseen were tourchered and killed because of the name of god, it would be fine. but these people are killing us not just to convert, but they even enjoy killing. and if the government isn't going to do anything about it. i think we should. don't you??

If Americans harrass you, its because they think you are Muslim, not because they understand that you are Coptic Christians.

After 9/11 , a Coptic man , in the USA was shot dead because they thought he was a muslim.

Its a sad story.

To make it worse, this man probably left egypt to the USA to flee from harrassement from muslims, only to be killed by an american who thought he "looked" muslim.

Muslims attack us daily in Egypt - i think they believe they are carrying out God's commands.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67252 date=1170846970]
    [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67149 date=1170780757]

then why do you think that muslims can kill and harr*** us and we can't do anything about it? and why is it ok for American's to harr*** us because they think that we're muslims and they know that muslims are horrible people?

If Americans harr*** you, its because they think you are Muslim, not because they understand that you are Coptic Christians.

After 9/11 , a Coptic man , in the USA was shot dead because they thought he was a muslim.

Its a sad story.

To make it worse, this man probably left egypt to the USA to flee from harr***ement from muslims, only to be killed by an american who thought he "looked" muslim.

Muslims attack us daily in Egypt - i think they believe they are carrying out God's commands.

I totaly agree with you. It's very sad to see this stuff happen. I have a very large family in Egypt and everyday I hear about what happens to the girls in college. and what happens to my uncles in the work place. they can't even find a good job anymore to support their families. so it's really said to see such things happen. So do you think that egyptians shouldn't do anything against such hate crimes?
  • [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67295 date=1170953674]
    [quote author=v***ilios link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67252 date=1170846970]
    [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67149 date=1170780757]

If Americans harr*** you, its because they think you are Muslim, not because they understand that you are Coptic Christians.

Its a sad story.

To make it worse, this man probably left egypt to the USA to flee from harr***ement from muslims, only to be killed by an american who thought he "looked" muslim.

I totaly agree with you. It's very sad to see this stuff happen. I have a very large family in Egypt and everyday I hear about what happens to the girls in college. and what happens to my uncles in the work place. they can't even find a good job anymore to support their families. so it's really said to see such things happen. So do you think that egyptians shouldn't do anything against such hate crimes?

To really prove your point, my cousin is a senior member of the army, and he was saying that he was going to vote for the Muslim Brotherhood. I said "Why!?!!" . He said :"Well.. the way it is now, it doesnt make a difference, we have no rights anyway as Christians. If we had a government run by the MB, then it at least they'd make allowances for us. Currently, we're treated unequally, and its not fair."

I think the Coptic Church needs to do some evangelisation in the west at least, to not only tell the world of our sufferings in an Islamic Country, but to tell them that we are Christians, and suffering for it.

• [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67297 date=1170953942]
    [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67295 date=1170953674]
    [quote author=v***ilios link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67252 date=1170846970]

Its a sad story.

To really prove your point, my cousin is a senior member of the army, and he was saying that he was going to vote for the Muslim Brotherhood. I said "Why!?!!" . He said :"Well.. the way it is now, it doesnt make a difference, we have no rights anyway as Christians. If we had a government run by the MB, then it at least they'd make allowances for us. Currently, we're treated unequally, and its not fair."

I think the Coptic Church needs to do some evangelisation in the west at least, to not only tell the world of our sufferings in an Islamic Country, but to tell them that we are Christians, and suffering for it.

You're 100% right. If enough people think the way you do, I think that maybe we can get enough people on our side to do something about it. What do you think?
  • Well, tasbeha.org is a good site as it does present the Coptic Church to the outside world.

People associate Christianity with the "Crussaders", "odd priests" , "protestants" , "evangelicals speaking in tongues"... this scares them away; and they all tend to think that Copts must also fall into that category. Whatever wrong the Catholic Church has done, we shouldnt have to pay the price for it.

Nor should we have to pay the price for coming from Egypt where we've already suffered from muslims.

If Saint mary was to appear AGAIN in Egypt, like she did in 1968, and it was again in the news, this would give a lot of publicity to our Church.

Other than that, u can tell everyone that Bob Marley was Coptic. lol
  • I like your sence of humor.
    And you know something if the virgin mary appeared again, it would be really great just for the reason that she's the virgin mary. and i hope something big happens again so muslims and everyone else would see our religion. and i'm proud to tell anyone and everyone i know here in the US that i'm egyptian. and i don't care if they like me or not.
  • [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67300 date=1170956271]
    I like your sence of humor.
    And you know something if the virgin mary appeared again, it would be really great just for the reason that she's the virgin mary. and i hope something big happens again so muslims and everyone else would see our religion. and i'm proud to tell anyone and everyone i know here in the US that i'm egyptian. and i don't care if they like me or not.

I don't think anyone should deny their heritage, and its good u are proud of being egyptian. I think its a great country; each one of us has to be Coptic Orthodox first, and Egyptian second. My worldy nationality should always take 2nd place to my heavenly/spiritual nationality. By telling them u are Coptic first, and by feeling in your heart that nothing should take precedence to your Heavenly Nationality, you are already preaching your faith.

Muslims also love the fact that they are egyptian!!
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67301 date=1170956549]
    [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67300 date=1170956271]
    I like your sence of humor.

I don't think anyone should deny their heritage, and its good u are proud of being egyptian. I think its a great country; each one of us has to be Coptic Orthodox first, and Egyptian second. My worldy nationality should always take 2nd place to my heavenly/spiritual nationality. By telling them u are Coptic first, and by feeling in your heart that nothing should take precedence to your Heavenly Nationality, you are already preaching your faith.

Muslims also love the fact that they are egyptian!!

Very good point. but American's don't understand what "coptic Orhtodox" means. I have to explain that it comes from a greek word meaning egypt. so even though they know i'm christian when they hear that i'm egyptian they some times make fun of my last name. and do a whole thing about being egyptian. and ofcourse i tell everyone that i'm coptic. and ofcourse the cross on my arms also tells that story.
  • Yeah, americans are so slow. I feel so bad for you.

I met these four american guys in the metro in downtown Paris, and i was chatting with them. Then, one of them said to me: "Ohh listen, what metro stop do we have to get off to go and see the Sistine Chapel?

I said: "... the Sistine Chapel isnt in France, its in Italy".

They looked so silly. Then they started fighting one another on "who is to blame for that misunderstanding" that has caused a public outpouring of humiliation and embarrassement for Americans??

You have to be patient with Americans. Spell it out if need be. But, why are u so bored of explaining your Coptic heritage? Even though it takes long, do you realise that each time you talk about your Coptic identity, you bring Christ into the Conversation!!!
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67304 date=1170957263]
    Yeah, americans are so slow. I feel so bad for you.

I met these four american guys in the metro in downtown Paris, and i was chatting with them. Then, one of them said to me: "Ohh listen, what metro stop do we have to get off to go and see the Sistine Chapel?

They looked so silly. Then they started fighting one another on "who is to blame for that misunderstanding" that has caused a public outpouring of humiliation and embarr***ement for Americans??

You have to be patient with Americans. Spell it out if need be. But, why are u so bored of explaining your Coptic heritage? Even though it takes long, do you realise that each time you talk about your Coptic identity, you bring Christ into the Conversation!!!

LOL... thats so funny.
    I'm very happy talking to others about my religion, but that's when they want to listen. but when you say it to them and they aren't listening, there isn't a point. I'm taking a world religion class right now and i love talking about my religion because i know that these people are listening. and it's funny because there's an american muslim in class and everytime the professor asks him something about his religion he doesn't know what to say.
  • [quote author=copticcuttie33 link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67305 date=1170957472]
    [quote author=v***ilios link=board=1;threadid=4942;start=0#msg67304 date=1170957263]
    Yeah, americans are so slow. I feel so bad for you.

They looked so silly. Then they started fighting one another on "who is to blame for that misunderstanding" that has caused a public outpouring of humiliation and embarr***ement for Americans??

LOL... thats so funny.
    I'm very happy talking to others about my religion, but that's when they want to listen. but when you say it to them and they aren't listening, there isn't a point. I'm taking a world religion cl*** right now and i love talking about my religion because i know that these people are listening. and it's funny because there's an american muslim in cl*** and everytime the professor asks him something about his religion he doesn't know what to say.

Ask Iqbal for help on any issues you have. Give dates on when Christianity came to Egypt. Tell them who was our 1st Patriarch. Tell them about our Creed, and we are the only Church that has never changed, deviated, altered, modified, twisted the faith handed down to us by Our Lord Himself.
  • Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

There are those in the west who do try to make sure that the media here are aware of the hate crimes committed against the Copts.

The British Orthodox Church, which comes under the jurisdiction of Alexandria, and whose Metropolitan is a member of the Synod, issues a journal called the Glastonbury Review which has a section which highlights this problem. You can find it at this link: http://www.britishorthodox.org/index.php

What Vassilios says in his earlier post is very true. There is so much for the Copts to take pride in - most of all your witness to the Faith. Believe me, more and more people are learning about the Copts. Here in the UK we had a big new Coptic Cathedral open in September, the link is here http://www.copticcentre.com/

But I hope that we in the west have the sense to know that Pope Shenouda and the Copts know best how to handle the persecution. We must be available if we can help, but must not presume to be imperialist about this and assume that we know best; we don't - after all, Egypt was the centre of world Christianity when the west was pagan!

I am humbled by the witness of the Copts, and I know of no one in the west who comes to an understanding and knowledge of Coptic Christianity who does not admire it. If, for a moment, you imagine there was no Coptic Church, you wouldn't have too much left of Christianity. Just think, take away St. Mark, St. Anthony, St. Athanasius, St. Cyril, and all the other great Copts - Christianity would have been so much poorer.

So, on behalf of myself and other westerners who have come to know Coptic Christianity, thank you guys for what you have done and are doing - and please know there are many outside your beautiful country who care about the hate crimes and who pray for you.

In Christ,

John