The Philokalia

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I was reading this book once, and i lost it without finishing it. Can someone just summarise it for me.

Why i'm asking now is simply because i'm going to a Russian Orthodox Church where apparently they just talk about this book in their church meetings. I took Orthodox11 advice, and I agree it would be wiser to go to a Chalcedonian Church than a Catholic Church in the case where there are no coptic churches.

I have to say still - being COptic is like having a very prestigious passport that lets u into any Church. The priest there loved me when i said i was Coptic. His eyes just beamed all of a sudden. I don't know.. perhaps he was thinking about marrying me to his daughter?? Not sure.. LOL

Yeah.. anyway, if someone's read it, could you summarise this book, or at least tell me if this exists as a PDF on the internet??

Cheers

Comments

• [quote author=vassilios link=board=11;threadid=4722;start=0#msg64413 date=1165353513]
    Hi,

I was reading this book once, and i lost it without finishing it. Can someone just summarise it for me.

Hi,

As far as I know, the only English translation available is a 4volume one which was translated by G.E.H. Palmer, Philip Sherrard and H.G. Bishop Kallistos.

It was originally compiled by St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain and St. Makarios of Corinth.

It is basically a collection of writings by various Saints. The main topic is prayer, and things surrounding it: such as watchfulness, the passions, etc.

You can get it off amazon I think.
  • Thanks Orthodox11,
    Yes, i know.. the sequal was called "The Art of Prayer". Wasnt Fr. kallistos Greek?
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=11;threadid=4722;start=0#msg64418 date=1165355012]
    Thanks Orthodox11,
    Yes, i know.. the sequal was called "The Art of Prayer"

I don't believe there is any "sequal" to the Philokalia, although they did publish another volume in English which collects the writings of the Philokalia on prayer of the heart.

Wasnt Fr. kallistos Greek?

His Grace is English (and has the poshest accent you'll ever hear) - a convert from Anglicanism.

He's the Bishop of Oxford, under the Ecumenical Patriarchate (Greek Orthodox).
  • LOL. The man that wrote the PHilokalia and the Art of Prayer is "English".

You know the "Art of prayer" was a recommended book to read to all servants and pre-servants in the Church. LOL.

He's english???

Are u sure?? I've nothing against them, its just, its very surprising.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=11;threadid=4722;start=0#msg64462 date=1165409418]
    LOL. The man that wrote the PHilokalia and the Art of Prayer is "English".

Bishop Kallistos didn't write the Philokalia, he just helped to translate it. The Philokalia was written mainly by ascetic Saints from the Middle East.

As far as I know, he has not written a book called the Art of Prayer.

There is one book by that title, but that's by Igumen Chariton.

He's english???

Yes, he's English. I've met him - there's no way a foreigner could have an accent like that ;)

Are u sure?? I've nothing against them, its just, its very surprising.

Here's a pic of him:
  • Hi,
    He translated it or he wrote it? The english man?
    What did he translate it from??

Listen, i'll call u soon, we'll chat about it. I'll be in ENgland soon. Send my love to Maria and everyone else when u see them!!

Ciao
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=11;threadid=4722;start=0#msg64478 date=1165413822]
    Hi,
    He translated it or he wrote it?

He translated it into English (together with the other two guys I listed).

What did he translate it from??

From the original Greek, which was written by a number of Saints from the Middle East. These writings were later compiled by St. Nikodemos and St. Makarios - its this compilation that has been translated into English by H.G. Bishop Kallistos and the others.
  • OK.. hopefully, i'll be back in London this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing the crowd there again at your Church. I hope i left them with a good impression though? lol...

THey're a nice bunch of people actually.