Questions

edited November 2006 in Personal Issues
I want this post to just be about questions.. since I may have many questions..

Say I borrowed a book from church and I was meant to return it 3 weeks ago and I plan on returning it next sunday is it a sin for me to continue reading from it?

about salvation...
few will be saved...do you think 30% of the world is few? might the LORD save 30% of the world or is that too many? its sad to think most of the people we know will go to hell..

PLEASE TELL ME ADMINISTRATOR(S) OR MODERATOR(S) IF YOU WANT TO DELETE THIS POST..

things that may be common sense to others may not be common sense to me... or questions that may be easy to answer for others may not be easy for me to answer..

Comments

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4629;start=0#msg63149 date=1163299141]
    Say I borrowed a book from church and I was meant to return it 3 weeks ago and I plan on returning it next sunday is it a sin for me to continue reading from it?

If you're going to keep the book anyway, I don't see what difference it makes if you keep reading from it.

As long as your intentions are honest, and you intend to return it, I can't see it being sinful.

few will be saved...do you think 30% of the world is few? might the LORD save 30% of the world or is that too many? its sad to think most of the people we know will go to hell..

Only God knows this. It's impossible for anyone else to say.
  • Is it okay to say God Bless you to someone you know who is enjoying him/herself going to parties, listening to bad music etc even though they have been told they are living bad directly or indirectly...?

maybe even some priests say God Bless you to many people..

If you have a laptop and you have a brother and you find your brother on the laptop one day when you came from work happy that you can finally go on the laptop to watch a saint movie.... Is it okay to tell your brother you are upset.. Is it okay to say I was thinking of going on when I was at work? is that complaining or something? should you think God allowed your brother to go on (maybe to test you) and you should be nice to your brother and let him stay on and do something else?

I hope I make some sense...

Its personal and its moral..

Was St Marina baptised in water as well as blood? how come she could have a relationship with God if she was not?

she was later baptised in water but not by a priest.. how come this was okay?

would it be a sin to play the zelda games? because of the magic maybe or other stuff (?) would it be wrong? it is wrong to give money to people who make evil games is it not?

• Is it a sin not to ring the police if a male person comes back to your shop who wants money from you if you said last time to him if he comes back you will ring the police?

Is it sometimes wrong to judge the actions of others?

I WANT PEOPLE TO ANSWER SOME OF MY QUESTIONS... YOU MIGHT BENEFIT FROM MY EXPERIENCE OR SOMETHING..
    YOU MIGHT AVOID SIN IN THE FUTURE BY LEARNING

• Is it a sin not to ring the police if a male person comes back to your shop who wants money from you if you said last time to him if he comes back you will ring the police?

I think you should discuss this matter with your parents; it sounds like a very serious matter; you shouldn't be dealing with it on your own.
  • Is it a sin to get in my dads automobile if he stopped somewhere (where cars may wait behind him) so he could pick me up since he found no parking place...

law was made for man not man for the law?

should not the people behind him understand the situation? I need to be picked up but there is no parking space...

but is it a sin even if they understood?

ANOTHER QUESTION

Some person kept a door opened that needs a key to open by putting something to keep it open... If I share the same building (or whatever it is) with that person who keeps the door open should I remove that something, have the door closed and insist he uses a key to open that door or should I not get involved or what?

ANOTHER QUESTION
    Is it wrong to try to get the police to catch a thief since if the thief gets caught his future might get ruined or something.. ?

(this is about a different person who I thought might be a thief)

ANOTHER QUESTION

I work in a shop...
    Was it wrong for me to say to person who said he was some girls boyfriend im glad your here ?... because he came to get a mirror that the girl bought.. she left it in the store and I think she was planning to come get it herself.

Is it wrong since I should not be happy that a boyfriend (if he is her boyfriend) came to get it or something?

I might be confusing..

ANOTHER QUESTION

If someones signature did not match the signature on the credit card much would it be wrong to give the person another chance to try to match the signature on the credit card?

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS AND I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MY DAY TRYING TO FIND AN ANSWER TO THEM ALL (AND I MIGHT HAVE WRONG ANSWERS).. IS IT NOT A SIN TO IGNORE THESE QUESTIONS? I THINK THE DEVIL IS PLAYING WITH MY MIND OR SOMETHING..
  • Mike,

Has someone answered your questions?
    I think the best thing is to speak with your parents about all these problems, they probably know u very well.

I see u are in Australia also. That's fine. There's nothing wrong with that!

Be careful. Your situation sounds quite serious.
  • hey mike,
    im slightly confused , is there any particular reason why your asking these questions or is it just out of curiosity

Is it a sin to get in my dads automobile if he stopped somewhere (where cars may wait behind him) so he could pick me up since he found no parking place...

no sin, you need to be realistic, the cars behind can wait
    yes we do need to obey the law of man, but your question isnt really against the law

Some person kept a door opened that needs a key to open by putting something to keep it open... If I share the same building (or whatever it is) with that person who keeps the door open should I remove that something, have the door closed and insist he uses a key to open that door or should I not get involved or what?

the only thing u can do is make him aware that the best thing is to use a key for safety reasons but its their house and their choice

Is it wrong to try to get the police to catch a thief since if the thief gets caught his future might get ruined or something.. ?

The thief is not obeying the laws of man thus he needs to realise this and some people only learn when they get caught and punished

I work in a shop...
    Was it wrong for me to say to person who said he was some girls boyfriend im glad your here ?... because he came to get a mirror that the girl bought.. she left it in the store and I think she was planning to come get it herself.Is it wrong since I should not be happy that a boyfriend (if he is her boyfriend) came to get it or something?

You need not concern yourself with that nor should you be not happy. You don’t know these people or the situation, maybe she sent him to get it

If someones signature did not match the signature on the credit card much would it be wrong to give the person another chance to try to match the signature on the credit card?

Its normal in banks for the workers to check then double check that the signature is the same, there’s nothing wrong with that, its standard procedure

• I ask these questions because they are personal and because I want help in discerning between right and wrong..

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY

"the only thing u can do is make him aware that the best thing is to use a key for safety reasons but its their house and their choice"

Its not a house.. its a building maybe only for different businesses
    which I and others have a key to open the door.. so maybe I should get involved for my own sake and for others who work in a business because anyone can just walk in that building and if he/she has a key for someones business but not for that door he/she can steal..
    I don't know if I make much sense..

(Is it a sin not to correct your error?)

"The thief is not obeying the laws of man thus he needs to realise this and some people only learn when they get caught and punished"

But what if the thief has only stolen once and he gets caught and his future is ruined?

"You need not concern yourself with that nor should you be not happy. You don’t know these people or the situation, maybe she sent him to get it"

I think she did send him to get it and I was happy he came to get it because she did not come to get it for quite some time... but is it wrong to be happy that he came to get it because it is kind of (?) flattering their relationship or something... ?

• I WANT THIS QUESTION ANSWERED ESPECIALLY

If I said to the thief I would call the police if he comes again asking for money is it a sin if I do not go by my word and call the police if for example he comes again asking for money for food and I think he really wants food? would I not be guilty of the sin of lying?

Jonah prophesied (?) of the destruction of Nineveh (See Jonah 3:4) but it was not destroyed because people repented.. he was not correct... he was not guilty of the sin of lying was he?

Is that relevant to my problem?
  • Is it a sin not to correct your error?
    no

But what if the thief has only stolen once and he gets caught and his future is ruined?

why do you think his future is riuned? he has done something wrong but it doesnt mean its the end, we all learn from our mistakes

but is it wrong to be happy that he came to get it because it is kind of

no, you dont really know why he came back to get it for her, maybe she was tired or sumthing, we dont know and there's nothing wrong with a guy going out of his way to make the ladies happy lol
  • To those who tried to help with good intentions and because of love.. thanks ..

I want the last question of my post answered quickly incase the person comes again to the shop I work at..

ALSO THIS QUESTION..

I work in a shop and sometimes after I close the shop for a bit so I can go to the toilet or somewhere I let others in the shop and open just for them if they want to get in... should I also let a girl and her boyfriend in if they want to get in another time ?... I did close the shop they should understand maybe that im closed for a bit... they might think he opened it just for us so he accepts our behaviour or something... But Jesus said to a woman who had many husbands to call her husband (btw did Jesus sin since that male was not her husband?) so maybe its okay..

this Q might be similar to a question I asked before but my problem might be more clear this time..

I don't like thinking sometimes but I have to sometimes ... :(

Pray for me..
  • Im repeating another post as this is important for me

I WANT THIS QUESTION ANSWERED ESPECIALLY

If I said to the thief I would call the police if he comes again asking for money is it a sin if I do not go by my word and call the police if for example he comes again asking for money for food and I think he really wants food? would I not be guilty of the sin of lying?

Jonah prophesied (?) of the destruction of Nineveh (See Jonah 3:4) but it was not destroyed because people repented.. he was not correct... he was not guilty of the sin of lying was he?

Is that relevant to my problem?

• It sounds like you're going in a spin, you should just take a few minutes or hours to talk to God and ask what the best thing to do is (through the bible).

You should also talk to your parents because these problems sounds like you need the guidance of your parents (they just want the best for you).

But the most important one is talking to God because he knows everything and also right from wrong.

Hope I helped a bit
  • mike, why are u soooo scared of sins?? we ALL sin, we all DO the bad thing at one point in time... we all FALL down and look up for help.
    but look at the bright side.... jesus carried all of these sins on the cross... the ones i have done, the ones i'll do, the ones u have done, and the ones u'll do. He knows our weekness and will forgive us when we sin IF we realize if it was a sin, confess, and take communion.
    I guess, u'll ask how do i realize it is a sin or not. Pope Shenouda says that every believer should have 3 things:
    1. Love
    2. Meekness
    3. Wisdom
    if one is missing, then something is wrong... in ur case, u need the wisdom to be able to judge... now onto the next question, what is wisdom... wisdom is Christ himself... if you have him, you have the wisdom you need to answer ALL of your questions...

tell me, how did Abraham do what is right and pleasing to God without the ten commandments and the law?

i think this topic ties very closely with your other topic "why do we believe in jesus?"...
    i think if you answer this first question, then u'll be able to answer all other questions...

========================QUOTE===================
    ==================================================
    i'm not in a position to answer ur question, but here is my understanding and i might be wrong:
    in the monasteries, if a theif comes to a monk to steal something, the monk will give him more than what he needs (this is a true story in bostan el rohban).. but we live in the world, if you see a theif, call the police right away... you don't give him a second chance.. but since u did already... next time he comes, u better make sure that u call the police... what if, the theif goes out of ur shop and then kills someone?? u could've stopped him if you called the police and he got caught, right? u don't know what's on his mind.. so u better be very carefull when dealing with situations like this.
    is it a sin if you don't call the police? No... I don't think so.

again, as everyone already said... get Jesus in ur life, and u'll be fine. At least, u'll be able to answer those kinds of questions...