which media is in which language?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I'm interested in hearing some "spoken" Coptic language, or at least as close as I can come to it. Can someone tell me which hymns and which liturgies, if any, on this site are in the Coptic language?

Comments

• [quote author=echalon link=board=11;threadid=4603;start=0#msg62908 date=1162959618]
    I'm interested in hearing some "spoken" Coptic language, or at least as close as I can come to it. Can someone tell me which hymns and which liturgies, if any, on this site are in the Coptic language?

Most of them have Arabic, English or Coptic written next to them, so they're pretty easy to spot.

Only thing is that the Coptic Church uses a lot of Greek during her liturgies and hymns, so even if you click on a Coptic liturgy, you will probably hear a lot of Greek (but with an Egyptian accent).
  • so, i haven't taken any "offical" coptic classes yet. how would i know the difference between coptic and greek?

i know its a shame that i didn't take a class yet... planning on it very soon though!
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=11;threadid=4603;start=0#msg64396 date=1165326388]
    so, i haven't taken any "offical" coptic classes yet. how would i know the difference between coptic and greek?

Well, you can listen out for certain words.

For example, the Trisagion is always in Greek, so is the Glory be to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.......Lord have mercy, etc.

Listen out for words like Agios, Theos, Kyrie, Evlogimenos, etc.

Other than that, I'm not really sure how you'd be able to tell the difference if you're not familiar with either language.
  • well, i know how to read it, and working now on the meaning of each word...

guess, i got myself a new task!! should be fun though...
  • well the only way to tell the difference is to get familiar with the laguage for example Agios is Greek while Xowab is coptic the both mean Holy. Epchois is coptic and Kyrie is greek both mean lord so it just takes time
  • i guess its not gonna be an easy task...
    thanks though!!
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=11;threadid=4603;start=0#msg64396 date=1165326388]
    so, i haven't taken any "offical" coptic classes yet. how would i know the difference between coptic and greek?

i know its a shame that i didn't take a class yet... planning on it very soon though!

umm its veryyyy similar...
    wellll....coptic language incorporates all the greek letters (not all letters are pronounced exactly the same)and coptic has an extra 7 other characters..