Comments

• Well, I think that the most important thing to analyze when criticizing an article that is purely opinion is the point of view of the author. The first thing I did when I read it is found out who is Sarah Ghoreb and where she's coming from. It turns out that:

She's a woman.
    She's a philosophizer.
    She's probably not from Egypt.

These three things are important for the following reasons:
    1) Women have always had a different opinion on everything than men. The fact that she's a woman means that she will never be ordained a priest (which I'm sure she's having trouble dealing with) which means that she has no idea what it is like to be a priest! This automatically negates everything that she states regarding what the priests think and what motivates them to do what she claims they do.

2) Where faith is the arithmetic of religion, logic and rationality are the foundations of philosophy. There is one thing that distinguishes the philospher from the scientist: the scientist knows for sure what is what b/c he has experimented and found out, and the philosopher does not know what is what b/c he only conceives ideas but doesn't test them. Therefore, the entire article is based on idea not truth, opinion not fact.

3) The reason why I suspect that she's not from Egypt is that any native Egyptian girl or boy would never speak about the Church in this manner. I think that everyone can agree that in Egypt the spirituality level is higher, the service is more efficient because in a church of like 100 families there's about 5 - 10 priests. And the only kind of person that would say something like this is one that has not experienced the grace of living in such a godly land as Egypt is.

Finally, the point of this article and the point of all her articles is that she wants to restore Egypt to its 'glory'. From this we know that she has not fully experienced the effect of what true Christianity brings and if she did then she would know that the goal of Christianity is not to care for worldly things such as the 'glory' of Egypt, but rather to strive for the eternal life in heaven.

Having said all that I just want to add that any opinionated article is the product of someone wanting to utilize the first amendment and have fun with it. As soon as I know that it is opinionated, then I immediatley disregard it as having any value of my time.
  • i agree with you 100%
    thanks for your insight
  • 1) Women have always had a different opinion on everything than men. The fact that she's a woman means that she will never be ordained a priest (which I'm sure she's having trouble dealing with) which means that she has no idea what it is like to be a priest! This automatically negates everything that she states regarding what the priests think and what motivates them to do what she claims they do.

It's not because she's a woman. It's because shes not a priest. Just because a man 'can' be a priest it does not mean that he thinks like one. Anyone who is not a priest doesn't know what it's like to be a priest.

2) Where faith is the arithmetic of religion, logic and rationality are the foundations of philosophy. There is one thing that distinguishes the philospher from the scientist: the scientist knows for sure what is what b/c he has experimented and found out, and the philosopher does not know what is what b/c he only conceives ideas but doesn't test them. Therefore, the entire article is based on idea not truth, opinion not fact.

Ideas are conceived through observation and experience.

3) The reason why I suspect that she's not from Egypt is that any native Egyptian girl or boy would never speak about the Church in this manner. I think that everyone can agree that in Egypt the spirituality level is higher, the service is more efficient because in a church of like 100 families there's about 5 - 10 priests. And the only kind of person that would say something like this is one that has not experienced the grace of living in such a godly land as Egypt is.

She grew up in Egypt but no longer lives there, as she mentions in one of her articles

Finally, the point of this article and the point of all her articles is that she wants to restore Egypt to its 'glory'. From this we know that she has not fully experienced the effect of what true Christianity brings and if she did then she would know that the goal of Christianity is not to care for worldly things such as the 'glory' of Egypt, but rather to strive for the eternal life in heaven.

Agreed.