Is this wrong? a sin?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hello all,

I am new here; but there is something that has been on my mind for a while (well actually quite a few things) hopefully (God Willing) as I get more comfortable with this group I'll be able to share more...

I know after communion it is wrong to spit, or eat anything with seeds, or take a shower... (because you'll be expelling the holy communion from your body)

But how does this pretain to relations with my wife? is it a sin to do so after communion? what about during a fast (since saint Mary's fast is comming tomorrow?)

I hope this topic isn't inappropriate... if it is I sincerely apologize...

Thank you,
MS

Comments

• Twoshenoudas,

I pasted below a snippet of the Sacrament of Holy Eucharist that relates to your questions.

Sexual relations between married couples should not take place either on the eve of Communion, as well as on the day of receiving the sacrament.

If a person is in a state of impurity, accompanied by a dream or otherwise, he must not approach Holy Communion as this is considered breaking the fast. St Severus Bin Moqufaa said, “Sexual impurity is fast breaking, and who breaks the fast cannot be forbidden from praying, or entry of the Church or attendance of the Mass (after a complete physical cleaning of course), but only forbidden from partaking of the Mysteries.”

Whoever approaches this Holy Body and Precious Blood in an unworthy manner, becomes like Judas the cursed, who was cast away from amongst the Disciples. He who is pure, let him approach. He who has any trace of hatred, let him escape, otherwise he will be burnt by the fire of the Divinity. He who has ears to hear, let him hear! Sing a hymn. Alleluia. Pray for the worthy Communion of the immaculate heavenly and holy Mysteries for the remission of sins. Lord have mercy!”

I hope this helps and God bless

In His Name
  • [quote author=twoshenoudas link=board=10;threadid=4238;start=0#msg58695 date=1154926398]
    Hello all,

I am new here; but there is something that has been on my mind for a while (well actually quite a few things) hopefully (God Willing) as I get more comfortable with this group I'll be able to share more...

I know after communion it is wrong to spit, or eat anything with seeds, or take a shower... (because you'll be expelling the holy communion from your body)

It is certainly wrong to spit or put something in your mouth (seeds, chewing gum, etc) that you later take out, after having received the Holy Mysteries, since you would essentially be spitting out the Body and Blood of Christ.

You should wait atleast 24hours before you spit, etc. (safest thing to do is to drink plenty of water after communing, to ensure there's nothing left in your mouth).

If you should need to spit, or if you bleed (since your blood has been united with Christ's), you should take this with a tissue, burn it, and dispose of it respectfully (preferably in a river).

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a shower though (?).

But how does this pretain to relations with my wife? is it a sin to do so after communion? what about during a fast (since saint Mary's fast is comming tomorrow?)

You must not receive the Holy Mysteries if you have had relations with your wife within the last 24hours before partaking.

Nor should you have relations with your wife on the day you've partaken.

With regards to fasting, the Church teaches that husband and wife should live together as brother and sister (i.e. no relations) during the time of the fast.
  • Hello two thousands, what joyis god and orthodox said are completely what our priest here say as well and what the church says. It would be a good idea to discuss that with your FOC as well, he will have good advices regarding it.

Hope that helped, God bless you

• i think u should ask abouna oon this topic
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=board=10;threadid=4238;start=0#msg58700 date=1154941039]
    [quote author=twoshenoudas link=board=10;threadid=4238;start=0#msg58695 date=1154926398]
    Hello all,

It is certainly wrong to spit or put something in your mouth (seeds, chewing gum, etc) that you later take out, after having received the Holy Mysteries, since you would essentially be spitting out the Body and Blood of Christ.

You should wait atleast 24hours before you spit, etc. (safest thing to do is to drink plenty of water after communing, to ensure there's nothing left in your mouth).

If you should need to spit, or if you bleed (since your blood has been united with Christ's), you should take this with a tissue, burn it, and dispose of it respectfully (preferably in a river).

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a shower though (?).

You must not receive the Holy Mysteries if you have had relations with your wife within the last 24hours before partaking.

Nor should you have relations with your wife on the day you've partaken.

With regards to fasting, the Church teaches that husband and wife should live together as brother and sister (i.e. no relations) during the time of the fast.

i agree with orthodox11