Repentance

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi. I have a question that has been bothering me for quite some time. It might be hard to understand but bear with me. I'm a sinner, and like any other person, I repent and confess. After a while though of the same process, I feel like I'm just fooling god or something. I really do repent but I'm weak and I always go back to my sin. It always gets better ofcourse but I still feel like I'm never going to succeed in facing my weaknesses. I just wanted some opinions on this topic. like what do you do after confessing and how you avoid sinning again. God bless.

ServantOfJesus

Comments

• I think the best way to avoid sinning again is to fast a lot and pray for god to give you strength to fight your sin. I find that when you fast frequently it is greatly easier to turn away sin. Then praying to god for strength will surely help.

In addition try to remove the source of the sin.

Matthew 5:29

“If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.”

Take out the root of the problem. For example, I know this may not be your problem but I’m being hypothetical…

If your sin is having lustful thoughts towards somebody from the opposite sex and you talk to them frequently. Disconnect your phone service and don’t sign on AIM. Bad example, but you get the idea. If you can take out the root of your sin then the actual sin won’t have anything to grow from.
  • its hard to say exactly without knowing the sin, that's why you should talk to you priest about you having the same sins again...

don't do any bodily decapitation though ;D
  • That's a good point that Mark brought up. Also, you want to think about what you're going to do before you do it. For example, when I was younger, I had a really bad habit of breaking my fast on Wednesdays, and Fridays, so to overcome it, I would sit there, and stare at the food I wanted to eat, and say, is this piece of cheesecake worth crucifiying Jesus again? Is Jesus worth that little to me that I can give him up that easily to the devil?, and so on and so forth till I stopped. Now, when other sins may arouse, I think to myself, would I want the devil to laugh at me because he was able to overcome me?, and the answer is always no. So, I say to you, think before you act, it really helps.

sleepy
  • If you really repent God knows that; remember that He knows what lies deep down in our hearts, so you shouldnt think that you are "fooling God". None of us are perfect or without sin.."all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"..but we have to keep on trying..keep on struggling..even till our last breath against sin...and if you ever feel like there is no hope to overcome sin..say "Do not rejoice over me, my enemy for WHEN I FALL I WILL ARISE, when I sit in darkness the Lord will be a light to me" (Micah 7:8).

God knows that we are "weak" (for what are we but dust?) dust by itself can do nothing..but if Christ is on our side than what have we to fear..whatever sin it maybe..we can overcome it but ONLY IF we put our trust in God, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

pray to God, cry out to Him and tell Him how you feel, God loves you so much and if you ever need Him He will ALWAYS be there for you. tell Him Lord I love you so much, and because I am Your child I wish never to upset you and sin..You were crucified for me once..I dont want to crucify You again....but sometimes out of weakness I do fall and sin...I need You Lord to be by my side..never to leave me or forsake me..be with me always and help me overcome sin..strengthen me and give me hope..let me walk in Your way forever..and help me not to go astray as a lost sheep

• thanx guys ;D any more comments?
  • well st anthony neva fell intot he same sin twice, he would fall into sin but his repentance was so great that through falling he neva fell to that sin again. we should try to imitate this, st anthony would, pray with all his heart for forgiveness, hed do mataanyas, hed fast... the list goes on, u just have to be serious about repenting. i think that i myself do which very wrong is i fool my self by falling into sin and saying it ok ill just confess, but thats not all u have to do, u have to in ur heart feel sorry, and regret it, u have to strive not to fall again.
  • Yeah, that's a great point GJI. If you have the ability not to do the same sin over again, then you will be reducing the number of sins that you do. Also, when I read the Bible, it gives me the feeling that I am obliged not to sin and the feeling lasts for a while. There's something about reading the Bible and praying that gives you hope (probably the fact that they are holy).
  • guys think about it, jesus suffered sooooooooo much for us, how ca we sin and betray him like that, he must look down at us an weep, he died for us, and we say thankyou by disobeying him. after u sin if u look at it like that, and u dont let the devil trick u into maken u believe it was a small sin, irrelvent, ull neva fall. something soo easy is sooo hard to do, wejust have to pull ourselves together and commit to god,

the best thing and the hardest thing is to think that ur betraying god b4 u sin, so it also prevents sin, therefore no need for repentance.
  • Re:Repentance
    « Reply #8 on: Today at 02:27:17am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    guys think about it, jesus suffered sooooooooo much for us, how ca we sin and betray him like that, he must look down at us an weep, he died for us, and we say thankyou by disobeying him. after u sin if u look at it like that, and u dont let the devil trick u into maken u believe it was a small sin, irrelvent, ull neva fall. something soo easy is sooo hard to do, wejust have to pull ourselves together and commit to god,

the best thing and the hardest thing is to think that ur betraying god b4 u sin, so it also prevents sin, therefore no need for repentance.

Wise words indeed!
  • i think the whole problem of sin is that u don't put God before ur eyes at the time of sinning. We tend to forget his presence in a lot of times...
  • [quote author=mmatt95 link=board=1;threadid=411;start=0#msg6993 date=1089934279]
    i think the whole problem of sin is that u don't put God before ur eyes at the time of sinning. We tend to forget his presence in a lot of times...

You're right. I only sin when I just completely forget about everything and lose control of myself. I just can't sin when I have Jesus on my mind.
  • So the key is to always be involved in stuff that reminds u of the Lord rite ;)
    any tips here, for example when ur at school or something ::)
  • ahhhhhhhh skool, its such a sinful place, well in australia any way its so hard to keep ur ears especially pure because of the vile language, and inpure conversations goin on all around u, ur eyes and ur mouth also get defiled...
    the best thing to do is alwaz have a hymn in ur head, and b4 u speak remember ur in the presence of god, cause its really easy to forget, and dont forget "bad company corrupts good habits"
  • School is the same thing in the U.S. I agree with you G.J.I, try and have a hymn in your head, one that will give you strength to make it through the day. Find a friend that doesn't use bad language or talk inpurely. Also, when you're at school, to prevent your ears as much as you can from hearing inappropriate things, try and find a teacher with an an open room that will let you and your friends stay during lunch and break.

• School is the same eveywhere :-\
  • yea but you can't let it get to you. I don't really get affected by it unless it's my friends doing It. If it's people who I don't talk to, I just ignore it. God Bless.
  • hey LHM, here even the teachers u should steer clear from, thers really no escape especially wen u go to a skool that does have many copts.
  • I see what you're saying, the teachers aren't much better than the students. We still shouldn't give up or give in though, and we should always remember, "I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me."
  • philippians ch 4 v 13 beautiful verse to live by, thnx LHM
    God Bless You
    :)
  • Thanks. I couldn't remember what the reference was.

God Bless You
  • [quote author=G.J.I link=board=1;threadid=411;start=15#msg7149 date=1090038560]
    hey LHM, here even the teachers u should steer clear from, thers really no escape especially wen u go to a skool that does have many copts.

I go to a school where I'm an only copt :(

sleepy