how do u pray

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
how do you pray

i always thought we should first when we pray thank God, then talk to him, then pray for the sick and the poor and needy ect.., then ask for heavenly things, then ask for earthly things, then ask for intercessions and pray our father

i know everyone prays different but if you don't mind sharing how you pray then that would be great

Thanks
pray for me

Comments

• actually shybox I pretty much pray the same way. i thank God first for everything then i pray for those who need prayer then i pray for the things i need and want then i ask for the intersessions of the saints and i say the Lord's Prayer. Thats pretty much how i pray.

God Bless and Pray for me
  • use the method of ACTs

Admiration

Confession (not sure about this one)

Thanksgiving

Supplication
  • [quote author=shybox link=board=13;threadid=3964;start=0#msg55762 date=1149206456]
    how do you pray

i always thought we should first when we pray thank God, then talk to him, then pray for the sick and the poor and needy ect.., then ask for heavenly things, then ask for earthly things, then ask for intercessions and pray our father

i know everyone prays different but if you don't mind sharing how you pray then that would be great

Thanks
    pray for me

I agree with Why.

Also, even if we are not using the fixed prayers of the Church (such as the Agpeya) we should use them as guides as to how we structure our own prayers, what we pray for, etc.

One good way of praying is to use a fixed prayer rule, and then between each prayer say one in your own words relating to the one you just read, coupled with bows and prostrations - this is the method recommended by St Theophan the Recluse, which I find works well.
  • wait ......... so nobody uses the Agpeya, only me and i dont even understand it ! What do u mean by asking for the intercession of saints ? What does that mean? what r earthly n heavenly things and how do we talk to God ?
    GBU luv
    mary
  • of course i use the agpya but at the end you should pray your own little prayer.

asking the intercessions of saints meaning this. Pretend i am praying. Through the intercession of st. bishoy and st. John ect. ect. make us worthy to pray thankfully our father .but before you pray our father you should thank god and ask him for things and pray for the needy ect. ect.

When we ask for the earthly things it bassically asking him to help us at school, at work and maybe you want something else.

when you ask for the heavenly things then you should ask him to help you spitirtually and to help you reach heaven ect. ect.

when you talk to god talk to him and tell him about your day and tell him all you did wrong and ask for forgiveness

Hope that helped coptic cross
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=13;threadid=3964;start=0#msg55849 date=1149353062]
    wait ......... so nobody uses the Agpeya, only me and i dont even understand it ! What do u mean by asking for the intercession of saints ? What does that mean? what r earthly n heavenly things and how do we talk to God ?
    GBU luv
    mary

It is very important to read from the Agbeya, even if you dont understand it, even though understanding it is amazing. I cannot begin to talk about the Psalms that are picked... the languages of world wouldn't do them justice. And then you pray the Gospel, which depends and differs depending on the time of day. Then you do the prayers, which are spirit food. It is truly an amazing way to pray, especially with understanding.

I believe that other than the Agbeya, there should be deep, spiritual, private prayers. For me these prayers take more than the Agbeya, I love them...
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=13;threadid=3964;start=0#msg55849 date=1149353062]
    wait ......... so nobody uses the Agpeya, only me and i dont even understand it ! What do u mean by asking for the intercession of saints ? What does that mean? what r earthly n heavenly things and how do we talk to God ?
    GBU luv
    mary

Asking the intercessions of the Saints means we ask the Saints to pray to God for us. So when we say "Interceede on our behalf... ....St George" we mean "St George pray to God for me."
  • i got it, but why do u have to stand in front of God and say a deep prayer, cant God see everything ?
    mary
  • what do u mean by god can see everything??
  • ok so i guess i wasnt clear but i mean if God knows what is in ur heart why does he have to hear it ?
  • It is not him who has to hear it but you that has to know your weakness and how much you need God. It is enough for me to sit in a prayer and open my heart to God, and I can feel him reading my heart. But it is You who needs to talk with your dear Savior, it is you who longs to talk with God for his sheer beauty and love.