how to explain this to others?....

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
when someone ask you what's is your religion
and I reply saying Coptic Orthodox
but others they don't understand coptic orthodox means and i don't know wht the simple way to explain it to them
what coptic orthodox means anyway
how can i explain to them our faith in few words
i feel so sad :'( when i don't know how to answer to them
guys need help :-\

Comments

• The simplest quick answer is:
    Coptic Orthodox (Church) = traditional christians of Egypt

further details read here (you can also give them the links):
    http://www.copticnet.com/History Of the Coptic Othrodox Church.htm

Tradition and Orthodoxy:
    http://www.copticnet.com/Books/English Books/Fr. Tadros Malaty/Tradtion.pdf

Short but for good details:
    http://www.copticnet.com/Articles/English Articles/WHO IS THE CHURCH.pdf

There are many further pages and articles, I hope the above are enough to understand and start with.
  • i say it is the first and trrue christianity and that it is kinda similar to catholic, just make sure they know u christian .

luv
    mb
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=1;threadid=3953;start=0#msg56074 date=1149802890]
    and that it is kinda similar to catholic

This is a commonly held misconception, but Catholics and Protestants are much closer to eachother than either one is to Orthodoxy. Yes, Catholics have St Maria, the Saints, icons (in the form of statues), confession, etc. but when one looks at the underlying theology, particularly with regards to the fall, sin, redemption, etc. it is very different from Orthodoxy.
  • i never said it was the same, i said similiar cuz that is the religon they understand !!!!! Better then tellin them ill email u my creed and websites. they go crazy when neone threatens to give them information, they say itis ok , dont have to
  • when people ask me what religeon i am i say that i am Coptic Orthodox and if they ask me what it is i say that i am an egyption orthodox christian because coptic means egyption anyway.
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=1;threadid=3953;start=0#msg56089 date=1149817410]
    i never said it was the same, i said similiar cuz that is the religon they understand !!!!!

I know you said similar, but I'm saying that will give people the wrong idea, because are not very similar. Catholics are much more similar to Protestants than they are to the Orthodox.

Better then tellin them ill email u my creed and websites. they go crazy when neone threatens to give them information, they say itis ok , dont have to

You don't have to say that. Just say that the Church was founded on 33A.D. in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit descended on the Apostles.

The Orthodox Church is that same One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church founded by Jesus Christ and His Apostles and has preserved the faith of the Apostles without any change to this very day.

With regard to the local Coptic Church in particular you can say that St. Mark the Apostle travelled to Egypt and established the first Christian community there among the Egyptians (Copts).
  • well to tell the truth..

i go to a coptic orthodox skooll...

but people outside of skool that ask me...which is only one person (lol not that many) i just said a branch of christianity..i really wanted to continue tellen him what it was..but he said oh yes....like he knew what i was talken bout..but i really doubt it... :'(
  • I tell people that Coptic Orthodox is essentially just a branch of Orthodoxy that incorporates the old Egyptian language of Coptic in its masses, the way the Catholics incorporate Latin (or used to at least...). And if they don't know what Orthodox is, then I say it's the traditional Christianity or the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" religion.

By the way, I know this is off topic, but there are Coptic Orthodox schools?!?!? That's crazy ;D. I love my school and all (Go Tigers!) but I'm curious as to where I can find a Coptic school. I'm going to assume they aren't very common, but are there any in Canada at all?
  • mmmmmmmmm, i ma guessing the orthodox skools r like in cali and new jersy were there r bigger orthodox/egyptian communities ! My skool mascot is a tigerrrrrrrrrrrrr.................ummm except it's a flying tiger LOL! K sorry, uea i use the my big fat greek wedding one too, or say its the correct form and oldest form of christianity ,catholics split from us !
  • [quote author=Katherine link=board=1;threadid=3953;start=0#msg56330 date=1150316097]
    And if they don't know what Orthodox is, then I say it's the traditional Christianity or the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" religion.

This is a common misconception. The Greek Orthodox Church is not part of our church. It is part of the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Coptic Orthodox Church is part of the Oriental Orthodox Church.

The Oriental Orthodox Church consists of:

1. Coptic Orthodox Church
    2. Armenian Apostolic Church
    3. British Orthodox Church
    4. Ethiopian Orthodox Church
    5. Eritrean Orthodox Church
    6. Malankara Orthodox Church (or known as the Indian Orthodox Church)
    7. Syrian Orthodox Church
    8. Malankara Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church

The Eastern Orthodox Church consists of: (some are not universally recognised)

1. Greek Orthodox
    2. Russian Orthodox
    3. Georgian Orthodox
    4. Serbian Orthodox Church
    5. Romanian Orthodox Church
    6. Bulgarian Orthodox Church
    7. Orthodox Church of Cyprus
    8. Polish Orthodox Church
    9. Albanian Orthodox Church
    10. Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church
    11. Orthodox Church of Mount Sinai
    12. Finnish Orthodox Church
    13. Estonian Orthodox Church
    14. Japanese Orthodox Church
    15. Chinese Orthodox Church
    16. Ukrainian Orthodox Church
    17. Antiochian Orthodox Church
    18. Macedonian Orthodox Church

(This info comes from "mazza"s post on the thread "what is the closest religion to coptic")

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpme3691
  • [quote author=Godhelpme3691 link=board=1;threadid=3953;start=0#msg56344 date=1150336696]

The Oriental Orthodox Church consists of:

3. British Orthodox Church
    4. Ethiopian Orthodox Church
    5. Eritrean Orthodox Church
    6. Malankara Orthodox Church (or known as the Indian Orthodox Church)
    7. Syrian Orthodox Church
    8. Malankara Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church

(This info comes from "mazza"'s post on the thread "what is the closest religion to coptic")

Dear Godhelpme3691,

How are you? I hope you are doing well. This is my first time posting and I would just like to clarify this list you have presented as being the Oriental Orthodox Churches. The Oriental Orthodox Churches are as follows and I'll explain:

3. Syrian Orthodox Church
    4. The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church
    5. Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahdo Church
    6. Eritrean Orthodox Tewahdo Church

The British Orthodox Church is simply a part of the Coptic Orthodox Church so they are not a separate Sister Church, it IS our Church. Their Metropolitan is part of our Holy Synod and you can find him on www.theholysynod.copticpope.org.

The Indian Orthodox Church (as WE call them) is properly known as "The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church". There is no need for you to mention them twice on the list, it is one Church by the name here as I mentioned. There is much more to be said regarding the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, but not at this time.

I hope this clarifies at least the list of Oriental Orthodox Churches although there is much more to study and learn about each one of our Sister Churches. If you have any questions, please ask.

Please keep me in your prayers.
  • [quote author=Godhelpme3691 link=board=1;threadid=3953;start=0#msg56344 date=1150336696]

The Eastern Orthodox Church consists of: (some are not universally recognised)

The list above is incorrect. The Eastern Orthodox Church consists of:
    1. Constantinople (H.A.H. Bartholomew)
    2. Alexandria (H.B. Pope Theodoros II)
    3. Antioch (H.B. Ignatius Hazim IV)
    4. Jerusalem (H.B. Theophilos III)
    5. Moscow (H.H. Alexy II)
    6. Georgia (H.H. Ilia)
    7. Serbia (H.H. Pavle)
    8. Romania (H.B. Teoctist)
    9. Bulgaria (H.H. Maksim)
    10. Cyprus (H.B. Chrysostomos)
    11. Greece (H.B. Christodolous)
    12. Albania (H.B. Anastasios)
    13. Poland (H.B. Sawa)
    14. Czech & Slovakia (H.B. Christopher)
    15. Orthodox Church in America (H.B. Herman)

Churches such as Finland and Sinai, although self-ruling, are not self-governing, and are under the protection of another Patriarchate (in this case, Moscow and Jerusalem respectively), and so should not be included.
    [quote author=Katherine link=board=1;threadid=3953;start=0#msg56330 date=1150316097]
    And if they don't know what Orthodox is, then I say it's the traditional Christianity or the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" religion.

This is a common misconception. The Greek Orthodox Church is not part of our church. It is part of the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Coptic Orthodox Church is part of the Oriental Orthodox Church.

Yeah, I know they are not technically part of our church, but they are rather similar, and I try to keep my explanation under 30 seconds long. If a person is genuinely interested though, and asks more, then I will explain the difference between Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox.
  • christ_lover, here is a beautiful answer to your question :D
    http://www.suscopts.org/evangelism/frames/tell_other_about_coptic_church.html
  • [quote author=Katherine link=board=1;threadid=3953;start=0#msg56330 date=1150316097]
    By the way, I know this is off topic, but there are Coptic Orthodox schools?!?!? That's crazy ;D.
    I'm going to assume they aren't very common, but are there any in Canada at all?

definetly...3 of them in NSW Australia...its quite Unique really...

no i dont think they are COMMON and they are not RARE...

yes my canadian cousin tells me that there are Coptic Orthodox schools in Canada however their academic level is not of a high standard...

which is different from here in Australia ;D