Determining the date for Easter

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hey everybody,

I was just wondering, how do they determine the date for Easter? Also, why don't they make the duration of the Apostles' Fast the same every year?

Thanks and God Bless

Comments

• The rule of determining the date for resurrection is based on the old jowish calendar. soour easter is calculated to be after the Passover of the Jaws (as it says in the bible). and also another reason is that it says in the canons of the church that our easter is always HAVE to be on the sunday after the passover. and ofcourse the passover is calculated according to the jawish calender which is based on the moon. even tho the pass over can change every year from the exact date, that diffrence wouldn't make any diffrence in our calculations of the feast because it always have to be the week or the sunday after. so one or two days wouldn't change much.
    and from the date of easter, u than calculate 55 days back to get the beginig of lent, and also 50 days latter, pantecost.
    now for the apostles fast, it said in the canon of the church that the apostles fasted after receiving the Holy Spirit (pantecost). so from there the fast always begings. and than the conon also says that the fast is over or ended byt the feast of St. Peter & St. Paul or in general, the apostles feast.
    i wish i answer ur quesion rit. :)
  • [quote author=esakla23 link=board=4;threadid=3736;start=0#msg53209 date=1146029436]
    Hey everybody,

I was just wondering, how do they determine the date for Easter? Also, why don't they make the duration of the Apostles' Fast the same every year?

Thanks and God Bless

The First Ecumenical Council calls for Pascha to be observed on the Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

The Apostles fast varies in length because it begins on a movable date (determined by the above formula) but always ends on the same fixed date.
  • Well i kno that the thursday of The Last Supper should be the last day of passover (which is always a thursday) therefore that sunday should be Ressurection Sunday.
  • Here is an easy way to calculate the day of the Resurrection Feast...Divide the Gregorian Year by 19...take the remainder which corresponds to this list:
    0-April 18
    1-April 7
    2-April 26
    3-April 15
    4-April 4
    5-April 23
    6-April 12
    7-May 1
    8- April 20
    9-April 9
    10- April 28
    11-April 17
    12-April 6
    13-April 25
    14-April 14
    15-April 3
    16-April 22
    17-April 11
    18-April 30
    You usually have to round to the nearest Sunday because the Sundays and day Number switch every year so you must round to nearest sunday.
    Try this method and to check it next year's Resurrection Feast is April 8th...which means longer Apostle's Fast!! :( :P