Question about Pilate

edited April 2006 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Dear all,

I have heard a rumours that Coptic and Ethiopian Churches had proclaimed Pontius Pilate as saint. So, my questions are:

1) Is it true? If so, are there some official documents?

2) Is it true only for Pilate and/or for his wife Claudia?

3) Is it true only for Coptic and/or for Abyssinian (Ethiopian) Church?

4) If it is true, what were the reason(s)?

With best wishes,

m7876

[I am a member of Russian Orthodox Church]

Comments

• 1) Is it true? If so, are there some official documents?

This is strictly an Ethiopian tradition. According to the Encyclopedia of Britannica this tradition is based on the following primary source documents: Acta Pilati and Epistola Pilati.

2) Is it true only for Pilate and/or for his wife Claudia?

The tradition concerns both Pilate and his wife.

3) Is it true only for Coptic and/or for Abyssinian (Ethiopian) Church?

As stated above, this tradition is unknown to the Coptic Church.

4) If it is true, what were the reason(s)?

I don't think i'm in a position to state anything concerning its objective truth. Obviously it is true to the Ethiopian Church; I have never heard my Church make any comments or remarks concerning this tradition however.

As to the reasons why, according to the tradition in question Pilate's wife testified to the Messiahship of Christ, and Pilate eventually repented of his sin and begged forgiveness at the tomb of Christ. He then converted to Christianity and became a closet Christian, and the Romans and Jews then crucified him. They initially crucified him on his own cross; then they took him down and crucified him on the cross of Christ to mock him and imitate the sufferings of Christ. Eventually he was summoned back to Rome where they beheaded him, and he received the crown of martyrdom.
  • Dear lqbal,

Thank you very much for detailed answer!

One more question: maybe, you are also know if other Eastern Churches have Claudia Procula (Pilate's wife) as saint? I have heard about Greek Church, but cannot find any information.

With best wishes,

m7876
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=4;threadid=3671;start=0#msg52774 date=1145314328]

I have never heard my Church make any comments or remarks concerning this tradition however.

I looked this up and in the Wikipedia Encyclopedia online, it says...

In the Coptic Orthodox Church of Egypt, Pontius Pilate is commemorated as a saint. According to their tradition, he secretly converted to Christianity sometime after the death of Jesus Christ, through the influence of his wife Claudia Procula (see Saint Procula). Pilate and Claudia are both commemorated as saints on June 25.

So yeah, I guess the Coptic Orthodox Church does commemorate Pontius Pilate as a saint.
  • Dear m7876,

One more question: maybe, you are also know if other Eastern Churches have Claudia Procula (Pilate's wife) as saint? I have heard about Greek Church, but cannot find any information.

Yes this is true. Claudia Procula is commemorated in the Greek Synaxarion, on October the 27th.
  • [quote author=esakla23 link=board=4;threadid=3671;start=0#msg52787 date=1145333268]
    [quote author=Iqbal link=board=4;threadid=3671;start=0#msg52774 date=1145314328]

I have never heard my Church make any comments or remarks concerning this tradition however.

In the Coptic Orthodox Church of Egypt, Pontius Pilate is commemorated as a saint. According to their tradition, he secretly converted to Christianity sometime after the death of Jesus Christ, through the influence of his wife Claudia Procula (see Saint Procula). Pilate and Claudia are both commemorated as saints on June 25.

So yeah, I guess the Coptic Orthodox Church does commemorate Pontius Pilate as a saint.

Do not believe everything you read from online encyclopedias like wikipedia, they can be misleading. Look up June 25th in the Coptic Synaxarium; you will not find Pilate mentioned. You won't find Pilate commemorated in the Coptic Synaxarium, period.
  • Hi

I'm Roman Catholic and I can assure you that nor Pilate nor his wife are considered saint here.

There is a story about Pilate: after Judea he was sent in Swizerland, where he committed suicide jumping from the top of an isulated mountain into a dark lake.

The mountain is still now named Mount Pilatus (near Lucern).
  • In the Eastern Orthodox Church Pilate's wife is considered a Saint. Pilate himself, however, is not even close. In fact, the Tradition of the Church asserts that St Maria Magdalena went to Rome and filed a complaint against him to the Emperor (I think Tiberius). The Emperor, having already recieved complaints about him regarding the killing of some innocent Samaritans had him removed as governor of Judea.

He might have washed his hands of the act and proclaimed Christ innocent, yet he delivered Him up to die in order to save his own skin - this is cowardice, not holiness.

I do not know whether it is true that the Ethiopian Church has canonized him - the only place I've read that was Britannica (as quoted by Iqbal), but the same article says the Church only has two sacraments, which is rubbish, so I'm not sure how trustworthy it is.
  • on the subject of pilate, what actually happened to him after the crucifixion of the Lord?
  • anyone? ???
  • I know he was removed from office by Emperor Tiberius following the visit from Maria Magdalena, but not 100% sure about what happened after that.

I've heard that he committed suicide but, like I said, I'm not sure.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=4;threadid=3671;start=0#msg52791 date=1145336125]
    [quote author=esakla23 link=board=4;threadid=3671;start=0#msg52787 date=1145333268]
    [quote author=Iqbal link=board=4;threadid=3671;start=0#msg52774 date=1145314328]

Do not believe everything you read from online encyclopedias like wikipedia, they can be misleading. Look up June 25th in the Coptic Synaxarium; you will not find Pilate mentioned. You won't find Pilate commemorated in the Coptic Synaxarium, period.

By the way, people find ways to edit such sights as wikipedia so most of the things you read can be easily edited refer to books... it's better.