Shim El Nessim..

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I never exactly got what this is. It is the monday after the Blessed Ressurection. We eat smelly fish and all. So what is the celebration here? Also, is it important that we should should take off?

tHANKS

Comments

• I just talked to my mom, and she told me that back then others celebrated it to show that spring is here, hope I help, and you understood what I meant by that!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • It's just an Egyptain tradition...it has no religious significance whatsoever. I think they use to do it during the Pharoh and stuff..and we just kept the tradition..but it's like for all egys not just us "coptics"
    lol and yes people eat smelly fish (fesi7') and colored eggs...lol it reminds me oh how americans celebrate easter...eggs...lol
  • yep feseek...smelly salty fish...

at churches here...the parents team up so that every 2 families or so bring a fish and alot of them sit down to gether and eat it ...while i KEEP WELL AWAY>>>OR BRING A PEG WITH MEEE
  • yea sham il neseem means "smelling the breeze" or something like that its just to celebrate spring usually people everywhere in egypt just go have fun at a park or something

Actually the easter egg i believe i heard is a tradition, after Jesus resurrected, it is said that Mary Magdalene went to preach about Christ so she went to an emperor ...not sure but i think his name was Caesar (i dont know which 1 cause theres a bunch of caesars) and she was trying to explain to him how Jesus was in the grave and after 3 days he rose from the dead, he laughed and did not believe her, so she got an egg, and told him if the little chick can hatch out of the shell of the egg, then God can definetly come out of the grave....something like that
  • ok , let me tell you about sham el nesim , it is basicly an egyptian/ pharoahic tradition , it celebrates not spring , but somthing to do with the flooding of the nile in the ancient days.