Meaningless Talk/Time Wasting

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
meaningless talk should not be engaged in.
time wasting is a sin.

Comments

• something that i ahve a problem with and cant seemto help it..

thanks for the post... :D
  • There is a saying by a father that goes something like it's better for me to stay silent..something like that...if someone has the exact quote of that and who said it..it would be great.
  • God created the lips for his praise.... and his praise only... but we are humans... so we have to communicate to others in their speech, just as God spoke to us in our speech instead of the heavenly language....
  • lol... tayeb yakhty... I wont tell everyone how much you begged me to help you out on that one... LOL
  • But really it was not idle... for it was the speech of truth... thus its glorifying the name of the Lord... for it is a truthful speech…
  • bishoy that was not needed.. it was idle.. meaningless talk

Oh I forgot to mention.... by you saying that... then you believe that idle talk is not needed... also by you saying that you are also saying that idle could also mean meaningless talk... lol...

thus you are contradicting yourself! lol
  • okay I'll go paint... with that great color... lol... too bad I have to throw away all these paintings... lol... okay lets stop now... lol
  • Here is an article that explains much about idle words. It was written by David Meyer and I think it will explain much.

God's Last Name is Not Dammit

What is one of the most common and often repeated sins?

It is without a doubt the one committed with the unbridled tongue.

Nearly everyone has done it, and most continue to do it both day and night.

Profanity, vile words, vulgarity and the taking of the Lord's name in vain is spewing forth from the mouths of people throughout the world non-stop!

Parents have ordered God to damn their children, and children have ordered God to damn their parents. People have ordered
    God to damn their houses, cars, tools, the driver in front of them, their relatives, the IRS and just about everything else.

Why do people speak so many profane, vile and vulgar words?

Why do so people call upon God to bring forth damnation on almost everything? Men and women who are in the condition of
    extreme anger and rage will "cuss a blue streak!"

Their children will learn and copy this almost immediately, and another generation is polluted.

We must also remember that people of all ages hear filthy and vile words in movies and on television, and then go on assimilate hell's vocabulary with ever increasing frequency.

Another reason why people have such vulgar mouths is one that is a combination of pride and insecurity. Fully grown men and
    women, especially men, often use filthy words, because they are really ten-year-olds in an adult body. Men, especially are
    under the delusion that filthy words prove that they are fully matured "macho men." In reality, they sound like they were born in a cellar and never brought up.

Some of these "macho men" and vile women seem to have a vocabulary of about 25 words and use the infamous four-letter "F" word to fill in the blank spaces of their mental deficit. That repulsive four letter "F" word has been used as a noun, pronoun, adjective, verb, adverb, preposition, and as parts of speech unknown.

The truth is that profanity and vulgarity will never enhance anyone's position and neither is it funny.

It will always make you sound stupid, ignorant, and repulsive, but there are worse consequences than these.

Who is harmed by profanity? Why is it so serious? The answer to those questions is found in the Scripture.

From the Bible we learn that it is a direct sin against God himself, and it is not one that he will overlook nor excuse.

In Exodus 20:7, we find one of the ten commandments, the third one to be exact, warns us with these words, "Thou shalt not
    take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." The unbridled
    tongue is a direct offense against God himself!

In James 3:6-8, we are also warned; "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it
    defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and is set on fire of hell. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame, it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison."

Profanity also puts us in a special status with God; it makes us his enemy or identifies us with his enemies.

Psalm 139:20 clearly warns us, "For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain." Thus, profanity is an indicator that we are not right with God, and that we are accounted to be his enemy.

"But I don't mean anything by it; they're just idle words!" That is what some may say. We must remember, however, that words many times have a much greater effect on the hearer than on the one speaking them. Words may be idle jargon to the speaker, but how is the hearer receiving them?

God, who hears every word, has this to say in Matthew 12:34-37; "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart, bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

If you have been caught and ensnared by the filthy habit of profanity, there is help and deliverance available from God Almighty. You must truly and sincerely repent and ask God to bridle your tongue with his Word and power. We at Last Trumpet Ministries are ready to help you to overcome this sin and any others that plague your life and the lives of those around you. Once you have received the power of salvation and deliverance, you won't be ordering God to "dammit" anymore, but rather to save souls from damnation. With this tract comes a prayer for you! I urge you to yield your life to God now, before it is too late.

David J. Meyer

Last Trumpet Ministries International
    PO Box 806
    Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • Just don't start joinin different protestant churches cuz you liked an article or two from them.... :)
  • umm i have that saying u were attempting at marriane..

it goes something llike this..

i have talked and i have regreted it but i have never regretted being silent...

and there is a verse om the bible that goes something like this...

for everything there is a time..if it aint a time for talking then DONT talk...man imma hypocrite...
  • missing the point.
    jst look at some of the topics on this regious site.
  • Our orthodoxy doesn't mean that we only care about religion and religion alone. I mean religion should be a big part of our life but there are other things that happen and we need the religion point of view about it...so it doesn't mean that every topic should be religion related or that any topic else is just meanigless. Something that is meanigless to you doesn't mean it's meanigless to the one who asked the question. I didn't mean to offend you or anything but that's just what I think.
  • boys, girls.
    silence is a virtue.
    if something has no need to be said, it shouldnt be,
    that shood prevent all verbal sources of sin,
    gossip, swearing, anger, impure conversations, flatterry..

James 3
    The Untamable Tongue
    1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. 2 For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. 3 Indeed,[a] we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. 4 Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. 5 Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.
    See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. 8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.
  • what about like when u joke with your friends an mates?

also i'v gotta problem:

sumtimes i feel like when sum1 talks to me about 'do u like this perfume..know where i got it from...how much?' 'where did u get this (type of food) from..i luv it'

i find it difficult to judge if talking bout food clothes makeup blah blah etc is wrong or wat? it even make me have this really bad feeling that all ppl r rong and im rit.

so what do u guys think???
  • James 3
    The Untamable Tongue
    1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. 2 For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. 3 Indeed,[a] we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. 4 Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. 5 Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.
    See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. 8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.