The Western Wall

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
The Western Wall is very important and holy in Judaism, but I was wondering if we Copts consider it extremely holy as well. Do we revere the Western Wall the way the Jews do?

Comments

• No we do not revere it as much as the Jews do. It is a part of Temple that was destroyed. However, if you read John 2:19-22 you will see that as Christians what is important is not the physical temple built by man but the Temple of God that is his Son Jesus Christ.

19 Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
    20 Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”
    21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body. 22 Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

• Oh, thanks KBibo8. That makes a lot of sense. But I'd still love to visit it one day, just because of all that it has represented in the Old Testament. Maybe when, or if, the violence dies down between Israel and Palestine it'd be a wonderful place to have a retreat.
  • [quote author=Katherine link=board=12;threadid=3464;start=0#msg50367 date=1142821727]
    Oh, thanks KBibo8. That makes a lot of sense. But I'd still love to visit it one day, just because of all that it has represented in the Old Testament. Maybe when, or if, the violence dies down between Israel and Palestine it'd be a wonderful place to have a retreat.

I was there last week for Pascha. Its not a problem. The Old City is very crowded with pilgrims, but there is no real threat of violence if you wished to visit. I know H.H.P. Shenouda III has forbidden Copts to visit Jerusalem but the place was still packed with pilgrims from Egypt - not sure what the position is.

As part of the Temple the Western Wall has a great significance because of its part in the history of man's salvation. However, we do not revere it the way Jews do.

In the OT it was believed that the presence of God Himself was between the Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant which was housed in the Temple. Jews therefore believe that the Western Wall is the closest one can get to God.

Following the Incarnation we do not view things in the same way, and so that significance of the Temple is lost. Also, the Kebra Negast states that the Ark was taken to Ethiopia and, if you believe the legend, now rests in a small chapel in Aksum.
  • Thank you Orthodox11,

I had no idea. It's funny how you truly learn something new every day.

God Bless,
    Mazza

p.s. please pray for me