Why is dancing wrong?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hi, i was wondering why dancing and all kinds of dancing is bad? i know the story about John the Baptist but i still dont understand how all kinds of dancing is bad? help plz ;D

Comments

• yes.. please inform me about this... ??? .. and i am sorry i don't really know that story.. what did it say about dancing??
  • its funny lol, i was about to ask the same thing WWJD56. anyway, i'm wondering about it too, and i don't know the story of John the Baptist either, so if you could fill us in on that one too..thnx
  • here is the story of John the Baptist and by the way there is another thread called dancing/prom that talkes about dancing too you might wanna look at that too

Mark 6:14-29

14 Now King Herod heard of Him, for His name had become well known. And he said, "John the Baptist is risen from the dead, and therefore these powers are at work in him."
    15Others said, "It is Elijah."
    And others said, "It is the Prophet, or[3] like one of the prophets."
    16But when Herod heard, he said, "This is John, whom I beheaded; he has been raised from the dead!" 17For Herod himself had sent and laid hold of John, and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife; for he had married her. 18Because John had said to Herod, "It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife."
    19Therefore Herodias held it against him and wanted to kill him, but she could not; 20for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just and holy man, and he protected him. And when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.
    21Then an opportune day came when Herod on his birthday gave a feast for his nobles, the high officers, and the chief men of Galilee. 22And when Herodias' daughter herself came in and danced, and pleased Herod and those who sat with him, the king said to the girl, "Ask me whatever you want, and I will give it to you." 23He also swore to her, "Whatever you ask me, I will give you, up to half my kingdom."
    24So she went out and said to her mother, "What shall I ask?"
    And she said, "The head of John the Baptist!"
    25Immediately she came in with haste to the king and asked, saying, "I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter."
    26And the king was exceedingly sorry; yet, because of the oaths and because of those who sat with him, he did not want to refuse her. 27Immediately the king sent an executioner and commanded his head to be brought. And he went and beheaded him in prison, 28brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl; and the girl gave it to her mother. 29When his disciples heard of it, they came and took away his corpse and laid it in a tomb.
  • O yes i know that story... my heart aches everytime i hear it.. i understand where dancing comes in, in this story, and how Herodias' daughter got any wish she wanted just because she danced ...but what interpertations or conclusions can we make about dancing in general just from this story.. ?? please teach me..

thanks
    mary
  • that dancing can be used to provoke people into doing things they normally wouldnt do (fall into a sin they would've possibly thought twice about doing).

- Chris
  • All kinds of dancing is not bad. David danced in front of the Ark of the Covenant. Not to say ALL dancing is good. I think we get into that protestant heresy when we use words like "all" and "only." Lets try not to make blanket statements, that's what Luther did "sola scriptura," he was fine until he added "sola."
  • Hey!
    Don't forget now, the dancing back then was more of like walking around and raising your arms up and down... not exactly proportional/similar to the slow dancing and the arms on the neck and hips that we see today...
    [glow=red,2,300]BEWARE[/glow]
    sorry, I'm experimenting again and I'm taking jesus servant's advice on trying to use proper grammer
    Pray for me,
    SMS
  • Acutally in the story of John the Baptist i think Herodias danced naked for Herod so not all kind of dance back then was all nice and good
  • I am sorry to say, but all of us that say dancing is ok, we're just fooling ourselves and others.

Dancing, although a girl will dance with a girl, and a guy with a guy, and it is innocent, you have to think of your brothers and sisters. For example, if 2 girls are dancing close to eachother and moving there hips, don't you think that some guys will be turned on, and therefore and lustful thoughts? Of course, and now you have caused your brother to stumble. Same goes for 2 guys, you can cause your sister to stumble. Dancing is an act of joy but most of the time it turns into an act of pleasure, whether you realize it or not.

Steve
    PS-Paulh, I thought you would now the answer to this by now ;D
  • i agree with you stevey820 ( i take it ur from westside lol)
    But I'd just like to add on one more thing... even if you go to a party where there's only girls, or only guys, and they're dancing with each other (my point is that the opposite sex won't but turned on, because they're not there), what's the point of dancing?
    When I throw a party, I either make it an all girls pool party, and if I'd like to invite guys too, we go out and play basketball or volleyball or soccer or football or walk around and talk or just put in a movie and eat... it's just as fun! (maybe even funner because then even people who don't like to dance, get in on it and everyone enjoys themselves)
    just an idea...
  • Hi Guys,

The issue is not dancing because some dancing is non-sexual and okay. The problem is with most modern dancing they use like exadurated sexual movements and I hope you all know what I mean!

It is a danger because when you dance you drop your guard because of the emotional attachment, desire and energy that can happen in a club and even if you could restrain yourself from going and doing the final act its not a good way to treat the same body that we eat communion with.

In slow dancing, I guess its something which is supposed to be intimate so I guess its probably not right to do it with just anyone...

Oh and most imortantly son't do it cos [glow=red,2,300]SMS[/glow] says so....

God bless,

CS
  • i guess that answers my question on the post dancing/prom about prom and the after parties :)
  • [quote author=stevey820 link=board=1;threadid=325;start=0#msg3376 date=1086904788]
    I am sorry to say, but all of us that say dancing is ok, we're just fooling ourselves and others.

Dancing, although a girl will dance with a girl, and a guy with a guy, and it is innocent, you have to think of your brothers and sisters. For example, if 2 girls are dancing close to eachother and moving there hips, don't you think that some guys will be turned on, and therefore and lustful thoughts? Of course, and now you have caused your brother to stumble. Same goes for 2 guys, you can cause your sister to stumble. Dancing is an act of joy but most of the time it turns into an act of pleasure, whether you realize it or not.

Steve
    PS-Paulh, I thought you would now the answer to this by now ;D

You are the man! high five for you! ;D
  • [quote author=CopticSoldier link=board=1;threadid=325;start=0#msg3382 date=1086905827]

Oh and most imortantly son't do it cos [glow=red,2,300]SMS[/glow] says so....

God bless,

CS

umm... either I'm incredibly slow today that I don't get that, or it's a joke... I can't tell sometimes... :-\ :)
  • i think what SMS meant so don't do it because SMS said so (like the rock from wwe world wrestling entertament) if i am wrong SMS let me know
  • aha... wow I haven't watched wrestling in a long time!
    I got it... ;) lol
  • hay people :)
    we had a father come and talk to us a couple of months ago(Father Antonoius from Arch Angel Michiel And St Bishoy Sydney)
    anyway he brought that subject up he said some dancing is okay like say community or cultural dancing is fine like what the greeks have in a circle whatever but in our culture (gypo's) we have belly dancing which isnt proper for children of God. As the others said its to attract which is a sin, as Steve said we shouldnt be a stumbling block for others because that also is a sin and dont forget our body is a temple of God.
    like if your dancing and praising God not exposing or showing off thats fine as some1 said David

God bless
    pray 4 me
    Nardin
  • personally, i don't find big bellied belly dancers attractive... but people's tastes differ ;D
  • [quote author=Michael_Thoma link=board=1;threadid=325;start=15#msg4122 date=1087714381]
    personally, i don't find big bellied belly dancers attractive... but people's tastes differ ;D

I suppose they do, since I "lust" for wobbly beer bellies on women. Quite soothing to look at, kinda like lava lamps.

• Big bellies? What kind of wedding receptions did you guys go to? Your hosts must have gotten a dancer discount…
  • Can anyone give me Biblical citations that state that dancing is a sin? The story about John the Baptist's head is not good enough, because it does not explicitly state that dancing is a sin in itself.

God bless!
  • you know, the bible may be the greatest book ever written! but that doesnt mean ur gonna find things stated bluntly
    ur gonna have to read between the lines buddy... thats sorta what the whole bible is about
  • SMS is right. the bible implies a lot of things that it doesn't talk about straight out.....but you sort of understand what He's talking about when you open up your mind to it and just let The Word flow into you..
    by the way, i agree with Nardin's post from Father Antonios about how some types of dancing is wrong. i understand that belly dancing is wrong because your pretty much putting somebody in a temptation, and there are many other types of dancing thats wrong because they while people are dancing they try to make themselves look like their doing something else (if you know what i mean), but what about just the regular dancing where your not exposing any part of your body, and your not symbolizing any sexual acts by your movements...is that also considered wrong?
  • [quote author=SMS link=board=1;threadid=325;start=15#msg4148 date=1087782691]
    you know, the bible may be the greatest book ever written! but that doesnt mean ur gonna find things stated bluntly
    ur gonna have to read between the lines buddy... thats sorta what the whole bible is about

But even when "reading between the lines", there still has to be a basis for claiming that something is or is not a sin. Otherwise, you run the risk of adding to the Bible. In the case of Herod's daughter, it seems to me the sin that is at issue is not the dancing, but the fact that a good man was unjustly executed.

[quote author=Paulh link=board=1;threadid=325;start=15#msg4152 date=1087790350]
    SMS is right. the bible implies a lot of things that it doesn't talk about straight out.....but you sort of understand what He's talking about when you open up your mind to it and just let The Word flow into you..
    by the way, i agree with Nardin's post from Father Antonios about how some types of dancing is wrong. i understand that belly dancing is wrong because your pretty much putting somebody in a temptation, and there are many other types of dancing thats wrong because they while people are dancing they try to make themselves look like their doing something else (if you know what i mean), but what about just the regular dancing where your not exposing any part of your body, and your not symbolizing any sexual acts by your movements...is that also considered wrong?

It all comes down to a question of intent. What is it that the dancer is trying to express in his/her dance? If it's merely a form of celebration, then I don't see the problem. But if the person is dancing with the intent of inciting lust, then it's not good. And it won't matter even if the dancer wears a full burqa.

God bless!
  • In the case of Herod's daughter, it seems to me the sin that is at issue is not the dancing, but the fact that a good man was unjustly executed

But see NC the reason John was executed was because of Herodias' daughter dancing i know that you see the dancing as not the sin here but think of this what if she had never danced then John wouldn't have died.
    I am not saying that all kinds of dancing is wrong even though i read an article (wrote by a priest) saying that that it is
    if i can find it again i will post it up

• [quote author=Wasim link=board=1;threadid=325;start=15#msg4156 date=1087792755]
    But see NC the reason John was executed was because of Herodias' daughter dancing i know that you see the dancing as not the sin here but think of this what if she had never danced then John wouldn't have died.
    I am not saying that all kinds of dancing is wrong even though i read an article (wrote by a priest) saying that that it is
    if i can find it again i will post it up

Herod was a corrupt man, so the capacity for this level of injustice had already in his heart. That's why I believe that the dancing, even if it's one of the points of the story, is at best a very peripheral one. Of course, I'm not excusing whatever Herod's daughter did, especially if her dance was tantamount to a striptease.

God bless!
  • but what wasim was trying to say is that had she not danced, herod wouldn't of fallen into her temptation to grant her whatever she desires...
    *desires* key word...
  • But why stop at the dancing, SMS? I'd even go so far as to say that had Herod not been king, he would not have executed John the Baptist. If he was pleased by his daughter's dirty dancing, then he probably sinned. But I hink the greater sin was his corruption of justice and his abise of authority. So I hear what you and Wasim are saying. I just think that in this case, any sin arising from his daughter's dance was peripheral to the story.

God bless!
  • i just wanted to clear that up...
    but i have a question for u: just because something is not mentioned in the bible and is not clearly said... does that make it right?
    if not... what makes it wrong?