Jesus increased in wisdom

Luke 2:52 (King James Version)

52And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Maybe this has been talked about before...

If He choses for His human nature not to know certain things (if that makes sense) then could He have sinned (I know He did not sin though) due to a lack of wisdom...

Was Jesus able to discern between what is right and wrong even from birth? if not it seems He could sin without knowing..

Im not sure if I make sense

Comments

• Sin is the result of a person's faulty employment of their natural human will. You see, the human nature of Adam, bearing the very image of God, was naturally inclined towards objective goodness (i.e. the obedience of God), however his person submitted to apparent goodness (i.e. eating of the apple, which is apparent goodness, because it seemed to be a good idea at the time he took the apple - else he wouldn't have taken it in the first place). As such, humanity fell, and the image of God within us became clouded and distorted such that now even objective goodness became hard for humans to recognise; hence the existence of a moral struggle in humans trying to figure out whether what they're doing is the right thing to do or the wrong thing to do, even if they genuinly desire to only do the right thing. As such humans sin as the result of submitting to an apparent goodness that is contrary to objective goodness, either by choice or ignorance.

With respect to Christ, His Person is none other than the Person of the Divine Word, and unlike humans who are created in the image of God and who are hence naturally inclined towards objective goodness, the Divine Word is the very image of God and hence the very source and encompassment of divine goodness.

The Divine Word became incarnate and hence existed according to a human nature and a divine nature, united hypostatically. As such, even though Christ according to His human nature may have been deficient in knowledge, His Person - The Word - being none other than God Himself according to His possession of the divine essence, was always able to discern objective goodness, since He is none other than the very source and encompassment of such objective goodness, and hence could never have committed sin in ignorance.
  • Thanx Iqbal... I hope what you said is all right...

I want to ask another question

Why is Christ compared to a thief (if He is) ... what does He come to steal?

• I hope what you said is all right...

Ofcourse i'm right. ;)

Why is Christ compared to a thief (if He is) ... what does He come to steal?

Are you referring to the parable concerning the second coming, where Christ will come like a thief in the night?
  • I think so... where the master of the house should be watching I think..

I got another question..

Luke 16:1-12 (King James Version)

1And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.

2And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.

3Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.

4I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.

5So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?

6And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.

7Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.

8And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

9And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

10He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.

11If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

12And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?

From
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke 16:1-12;&version=9;

One person I think has to pay (?) A hundred measures of oil.. how can this person can get away with paying (?) fifty?

Also can anyone explain this verse for me?

1 Corinthians 11:16 (King James Version)

16But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

From
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 corinthians 11:16;&version=9;

• I think so... where the master of the house should be watching I think..

Christ is simply likened to a thief in the night due to the unexpectedness of his coming. A thief creeps up and steals ones goods from their house; he does not give the occupants of the house a warning indication that he is soon about to strike; thus the occupants of the house must always be prepared, making sure their house is secure at all times, for they do not know when the thief will strike. Likewise, we will not receive a warning signal before the second coming of Christ; it could creep up on us at any second of any hour of any day. Thus we must always be prepared, securing our souls so to speak, with virtue and faithfulness, so that we are ready to face the judgment to come.

From
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke 16:1-12;&version=9;

One person I think has to pay (?) A hundred measures of oil.. how can this person can get away with paying (?) fifty?

I explained the meaning of this passage on this website a long time ago. You can find my explanation here:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1075;start=msg18083#msg18083

Let me know if you would like me to elaborate or clarify upon anything.
  • "Why is Christ compared to a thief (if He is) ... what does He come to steal?"

Peace,

Christ is compared to a thief because He comes when you least expect it. What He steals is your temporal life on earth and any remaining time to repent since you will be called to Judgement at the second coming.