Religious Obsessions and Compulsions

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Anxiety/ocd_scrupulosity.asp

I think I might have OCD..

"Another individual could believe that anything he does might be sinful. This individual might become so paralyzed with doubt, that he or she becomes afraid to do or say anything at all"

This part I think maybe describes me

"Because these obsessions and compulsions are intertwined in the individual’s religious life, it may be difficult for him or her to recognize that he or she has a psychiatric condition. An individual with religious obsessions often may focus excessively on one particular concern about sin while neglecting other aspects of his or her religion. Most religions place a high priority on compassion and being a good neighbor. The scrupulous individual while focusing excessively on a few specific rules may neglect this more general dictum."

And this part maybe...
But I feel I do not have the social skills and maybe confidence to do good deeds to others in person..

I can help people online though I think..

" In some cases, clergy will give the individual permission to visualize things that would usually be considered sinful thoughts if it is part of the treatment for this condition."

This seems wrong maybe..

Comments

• Please don't misunderstand me, but wat made u decide 2 research this? I think you should b very cautious with things like this...every1 has their own personality...i mean, it cud just be a phase ur going thru...like ur train of thought somhow manages 2 steer its way 2 one particular issue, ( i'm not sure if that's wat u mean) and in that case, i really don't think its anything 2 do with having a certain condition or disorder...
    My advice is not to bury urself too much in the 'psychology' of it, rather bury urself in prayer cos its stronger than ne psychological treatment ne1 can possibly give u.
    As i mentioned previously...i'm not sure if i understood u correctly...
  • I agree with Cherry88...I mean why did you put that in your mind that you have OCD and I don't know you but I don't think that you look at just one aspect of your religion which is the sin. Like you still ask questions and do stuff about other things in the religion not just sins...right.
    I don't really believe in those kind of stuff...I mean it might be proven medically that there is such a thing as OCD but it's the same thing as gay people...they have proven that medically too. My advice to you is just got to your FOC open your heart to him...he would understand you better than anyone in here or even better than yourself.
  • I would also like to add that while OCD is a disorder commonly associated with negative attributes in the psyche of an individual...., these statndards apply only to the secular human scale of measurment. By defintion OCD is transmuted into a disorder because it is disadvantageous to the individual who wants to efficently live out his limited life.
    Therefore, the incessant need to wash one's hands, change one's clothes, perfrom ritualistic behavior are all negative traits becuase they are inefficent for mainitaing the maxim time in this short-lived world. However,........with God efficency is insignificant. God, Who is not restricted by time, looks upon the reason behind every action. Your anxiety over sin; while to others inefficent; to God an acceptable means of sustaining your Spirit. While to others an abnormal phase, to God a trivial shift in your regular character.

Don't be overly anxious-- As our Lord says, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." By the same token, the humility of an individual is not--as this society so bluntly explicates--a weakness or disorder to which men are to run. Embrace humility, all the more having confidence that you have the capability to do all things in Christ Jesus. Your claim of low self-estteem, while a valid one, is easily conqerable through the grace and power of Our LOrd and Savior.

For even if you did have a "psychological disturbance", you have all the more excellent, the very Spirit of God living in you altering the very facets of your own psyche.....

"Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (Rom 8:26)

"And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease."

May God bless you.

• Thankyou all who posted for trying to help (if thats what you'se were trying to do)

I might also believe what some of you typed.