I want to share this

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I got this from this site
http://stmarycoptorthodox.org/excerpts_from_the_writings_of_h.htm

maybe there is copyright..

I dont know if this is new or old.. but it might encourage? some..

"

I want...

O Lord, on the New Year's eve, I do not want to make many promises, as through my previous experience, I know that I shall not fulfil any, or start but not perfect!

I do not want to rely on myself; I know my weakness. I know I have many good intentions, "but to perform what is good I do not find" (Rom. 7:18).

The first thing I want, Lord, is to talk to You openly.

I want to present you my heart as it is, not as it should be. And I want to put to You my weaknesses, as they are, so that with Your grace and Holy Spirit, You take charge of them...

I do wrong if I promise that I will repent, but I cry out to You "Restore me and I will return." (Jer. 31:18).

I will be at fault if I promise to do many good deeds, but I ask You to strengthen me so that I may be able to do. I want You to work in me in order to do what You want me to... "For it is God who works in you both to will and to work." (Phil. 2:13).

Lord, at the beginning of this year, I want you to take charge of the whole year, every day of it... and I want You to take all my life Yourself and shape it in the way which conforms with Your goodness and Your holy will...

I want you to reveal to me Your will in my life. "Teach me Your statutes. Make me understand the way of Your precepts." (Ps. 119:27). "Open my eyes, that I may see wondrous things from Your law." (Ps. 119:18).

Tell me what You want and give me the strength to do it. If I do wrong and fall, excuse my weakness and hold my hand to rise.

I do not ask only for myself but also for those whom I love, whom You like most, because You chose them temples for Your Spirit. "Holy Father, protect them in Your name Sanctify them by Your truth." (John 17:11&17).

I want their names to be written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Do Not Despair

However weak your spiritual life may be, do not despair; for desperation is one of Satan's wars by which he wants to weaken your morals and stop your resistance, to fall in his hands.

Even though you despair of yourself, never despair of the grace of God. If your deeds do not lead you to repentance, God's work for you might do.

Sometimes, in your spiritual life, the cause of despair may be setting before you ideals above your level, or taking steps which do not comply with the necessary gradual progress.

And because you cannot achieve what you want, you despair.

Therefore, it is better to put before you a gradual system within your power and abilities and within the gifts God gave you. Be aware that God wants only one step from you and if you take it He will lead you to the next and so on...

You might despair because you cannot stand before the Lord unless, first, you make yourself better.

It is preferable to say to Him I cannot reform myself and then come to you, but I come to You so you can make me better.

Do not despair if you feel that you do not love God. Do not say what is the use of all my works since I do not love Him!

Say rather if I do not love God, it is a comfort that He loves me and with His love He can make me love Him.

If you practise the spiritual means but do not feel a true attachment to God, do not despair.

Keep on the spiritual readings, even without understanding. Keep on praying, even without warmth, confess always even though you feel no penitence. Perhaps because of your perseverance, the Grace of God may seek you and give you the understanding, warmth and penitence.

Your mere perseverance in the spiritual means puts God in your mind even without repentance! But if you despair and break the commandments, you might go downwards and forget God completely.

Even if you are in a weak state, do not despair. It is better for you to stay as you are than to be lead through despair to worse.
"

God Bless!

Comments