Are all of Gods people today prophets?

Numbers 11:27-29 (King James Version)

27And there ran a young man, and told Moses, and said, Eldad and Medad do prophesy in the camp.

28And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of Moses, one of his young men, answered and said, My lord Moses, forbid them.

29And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the LORD'S people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!

From
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers 11:27-29;&version=9;

? ?

Comments

• Moses is not proclaiming here that all of God's people are prophets. Allow me to post another translation of this verse that more accurately portrays the intended implication:

"Moses said to him, "Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all Yahweh's people were prophets, that Yahweh would put his Spirit on them!" " (WEB version of Numbers 11:29)

As is shown from the context of this verse which you have pasted for us (verses 27-28), Moses was receiving a complaint from Joshua, who was concerned by the fact that people other than Moses seemed to be prophesying. He was envious on behalf of Moses, for he considered Moses a great teacher who alone was privileged with this gift; he was also envious on account of the fact he himself (who later became a great prophet as we know) did not yet receive the gift of prophecy, and hence asks Moses to forbid these people from prophesying.

Moses in humility expresses his wish that all were prophets and that all were blessed by God's spirit with the ability to prophesy as he did.