Can someone explain?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
"When Abba Sophronius and I were in Alexandria, one day we went to the Church of St. Theodosios. A bald man came towards us who was wearing sack-cloth down to his knees. He seemed to be insane. Abba Sophronius said to me, "Give me a coin and you shall see the virtue of the man who is approaching us." I gave him five copper coins which he took and gave to the one who seemed to be insane. He received them without a word. Keeping ourselves out of sight, we followed him. When he had turned the street corner, he stretched out his right hand - in which he held the coins - towards heaven, held it up high, and then prostrated himself before God. Then, he went his way, leaving the coins on the ground. John Moschus, Leimonarion 111"

From
http://www.orthodox.net/gleanings/almsgiving.html

Comments

• I wouldn't consider myself the best at unfolding the puzzles and riddles of the sayings and stories of the desert Fathers, however I think the most simple and obvious point that can be taken here, is that despite the absurd method and procedure by which this simple man of unsound mind offered his alms, his offering was nonetheless counted worthy according to the fact it was offered with pure love and in true humility, which is the primary concern of God in such matters.

It's not about how much you offer (whether it be a trivial or an abundant amount), nor is about how effectively you offer what it is you have (whether it be offered in wisdom or in opposition to what even common sense would dictate - which is the case of the man in the above story); rather, it's about where your heart lies, and what your true intentions are.
  • thankyou iqbal and I hope its right but thanks for your thoughts anyway?