Numbers 9:6-14

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Numbers 9:6-14 (King James Version)

6And there were certain men, who were defiled by the dead body of a man, that they could not keep the passover on that day: and they came before Moses and before Aaron on that day:

7And those men said unto him, We are defiled by the dead body of a man: wherefore are we kept back, that we may not offer an offering of the LORD in his appointed season among the children of Israel?

8And Moses said unto them, Stand still, and I will hear what the LORD will command concerning you.

9And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

10Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If any man of you or of your posterity shall be unclean by reason of a dead body, or be in a journey afar off, yet he shall keep the passover unto the LORD.

11The fourteenth day of the second month at even they shall keep it, and eat it with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.

12They shall leave none of it unto the morning, nor break any bone of it: according to all the ordinances of the passover they shall keep it.

13But the man that is clean, and is not in a journey, and forbeareth to keep the passover, even the same soul shall be cut off from among his people: because he brought not the offering of the LORD in his appointed season, that man shall bear his sin.

14And if a stranger shall sojourn among you, and will keep the passover unto the LORD; according to the ordinance of the passover, and according to the manner thereof, so shall he do: ye shall have one ordinance, both for the stranger, and for him that was born in the land.

From
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers 9:6-14;&version=9;

Why do you think the person(?) who was defiled by a dead body and the other person(?) was allowed to keep the passover?

Comments

• JesusisKingofKings,

First we have to understand the symbolism in these verses:

1- The Passover refers to the sacrifice of the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
    “ For Christ, our paschal lamb, has been sacrificed.
    Let us, therefore, celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. “ 1 Cor 5:7-8
    By this sacrifice the Lord offered Himself for the salvation of the whole humanity, in the fullness of time, on particular day, Good Friday.

2- The strangers refer to the gentiles, whom the Lord Jesus Christ reconciled them to God and brought them to the household of God.

3- The one who touched a dead body: as we know the sin is death,
    “ For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. “ Romans 6:23
    So this means that the person who is sinful needs to come to the cross to be healed and cleansed. For the Lord have not come to call righteousness but sinners to repentance,

So the cross is for all people, whether Jews, Gentiles or sinners.

• Thankyou Safaa!

why is any person who went on a journey allowed to keep the passover if thats true?

Do you think the person who went on a journey far off might symbolise a person who went far away from God?

Should we assume any person who went on a journey far off who is still allowed (?) to keep the passover is a jew?
  • why is any person who went on a journey allowed to keep the passover if thats true?

Do you think the person who went on a journey far off might symbolise a person who went far away from God?

Exactly, the one who went on a journey represent the person who is away from God. In the Parable of the “ Prodigal Son “:
    “ 13: Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took his journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in loose living.
    14: And when he had spent everything, a great famine arose in that country, and he began to be in want.
    15: So he went and joined himself to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed swine.
    16: And he would gladly have fed on the pods that the swine ate; and no one gave him anything.
    17: But when he came to himself he said, `How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, but I perish here with hunger!
    18: I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; 19: I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired servants."' Luke :15
    This sinner is exactly the one who must repent and receive the Lord Jesus Christ, symbolised in the Old Testament by the one who should eat the Passover, otherwise he/she would be cut off of the house hold of God. As Our Lord said “ in chapter 13 of the Gospel of St. Luke
    3: I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. 4: Or those eighteen upon whom the tower in Silo'am fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who dwelt in Jerusalem?
    5: I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish." The Lord mentioned the same verse twice not for the purpose of repetition but for the reason of extreme importance.

• Thankyou Safaa! :)