Guys or Girls 3

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
if youve been this website long enough, you will know i have Previously posted to other questions on this topic, "does the bible favour Guys more than girls"
both times i was fully convinced of our equality, until today at church during the "prostration" ceremony i heard this verse...

"LET YOUR WOMEN KEEP SILENT IN THE CHURCHES,FOR THEY [glow=red,2,300]ARE NOT PERMITTED[/glow] TO SPEAK; BUT THEY ARE TO BE SUBMISSIVE, AS TH LAW ALSO SAYS. AND IF THEY WANT TO LEARN SOMETHING, LET THEMASK THEIR OWN HUSBANDS AT HOME; FOR IT IS [glow=red,2,300]SHAMEFUL[/glow] FOR WOMEN TO SPEAK IN CHURCH." CORINTHIANS CH. 14 V. 34-35

please explain why with this said were still equal and not favoured...

Comments

• Hi G.J.I,

You have to remember that this verse was written by St. Paul who was speaking with diaspora jews or jews living in gentile countries. In this case he was giving them a directive that was appropriate for the jewish culture, its not a Christian veiw point that universally applies to all women.

You have to remember that at that time the Jewish religon (while being a source of empowerment to women) only elevated them so far as being a handmaid that supported their husband. When Christ came He changed that and elevated women to the sataus of co-heirs of the kingdom but unfortunatly it took cultures a while to catch up with the level of elevation that had been intented by Christ.

God bless you,

CS
  • So we can conside guys and girls equal. :)

sleepy
  • Also, to proove equality in Genesis it says: In His Likeness He created them, male and female He created them. (THIS IS NOT EXACTLY HOW IT GOES BUT I'M CLOSE ENOUGH!!)

Defender
  • close enough is good enough for me.
    just as long as we're equal. lol.

sleepy
  • I know that some of you have already mentioned that you have the book, Islam Unveiled. In the book, it states that one of the differences between christianity and islam is the fact that in islam women are the property of the men. In christianity, women are equal with men, and they have the same rights. None are favored over the other.

hope that helped ;)

sleepy
  • [quote author=G.J.I link=board=1;threadid=305;start=0#msg2790 date=1085898863]
    if youve been this website long enough, you will know i have Previously posted to other questions on this topic, "does the bible favour Guys more than girls"
    both times i was fully convinced of our equality, until today at church during the "prostration" ceremony i heard this verse...

"LET YOUR WOMEN KEEP SILENT IN THE CHURCHES,FOR THEY [glow=red,2,300]ARE NOT PERMITTED[/glow] TO SPEAK; BUT THEY ARE TO BE SUBMISSIVE, AS TH LAW ALSO SAYS. AND IF THEY WANT TO LEARN SOMETHING, LET THEMASK THEIR OWN HUSBANDS AT HOME; FOR IT IS [glow=red,2,300]SHAMEFUL[/glow] FOR WOMEN TO SPEAK IN CHURCH." CORINTHIANS CH. 14 V. 34-35

please explain why with this said were still equal and not favoured...

Basically this was said because they were spreading hearsay in the church.