Mary M.

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey i saw that website : http://www.lisashea.com/hobbies/art/marymagdalene.html

and it's saying that Mary Magdalene wasn't a prostitute and i'm so confused now...

is there any evidence like a verse from the bible?

Comments

• actually we do not believe she is a prostitute, do not confuse mary with the sinner woman, look Mary Magdalene had 7 demons in her
    "And certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities--Mary called Magdalene, out of whom had come seven demons"Luke 8:2
  • Well they are just saying that to prove in fact that Jesus was married to Mary Magdeline...which is WRONG WRONG WRONG...because why would God marry a human being when we are all his children...so they have no point of proving the one next to Jesus in the Last Supper was in fact Mary Magdeline....and why is it only Mary Magdalene ....why wouldn't it be St. Mary, the mother of God....why couldn't be any other woman...so of course that is wrong...and Mary Magdeline was a prostuite who had 7 demons over her...and somewhere in the bible, it said that Jesus healed her...and here is the verses for that
    "When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons."Mark 16:9
    "and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out"Luke 8:2

So Mary Magdalene was possesed by demons/was a prostuite...in anyway she wasn't a righetous person before she met Jesus which explains why she was close to him.
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=1;threadid=2898;start=0#msg44448 date=1134578066]
    actually we do not believe she is a prostitute, do not confuse mary with the sinner woman, look Mary Magdalene had 7 demons in her
    "And certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities--Mary called Magdalene, out of whom had come seven demons"Luke 8:2

sorry i read that after i have posted mine...I didn't know that...but i don't think it would make any difference what she was or what her sins was...she became a righetous person after she accepted Jesus.
  • no problem Marianne
    i think the confusion is usually between 3 characters; Mary Magdalene, the sinner woman, and Mary the sister of Lazarus

i dont think she was a prostitute (to my knowledge the catholics believe she was an adultress, and that is why she is portrayed as carrying an alabaster flask of ointment in their pictures of her, but i think we do not believe that she was the adultress who anointed jesus's feet), but she was demon-possessed,

adultresses
    - i think that there is 2 adultresses, 1 that anointed jesus feet, and 1 that was about to be stoned,

"Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst" John 8:3

women who anointed jesus feet:

-and then i think there were 2
    1 of them an adultress, the other 1 mary, the sister of Lazarus

"And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, And stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil." Luke 7:37-38

"There they made Him a supper; and Martha served, but Lazarus was one of those who sat at the table with Him. Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil." John 12:3