What does "An Unclean Spirit Returns" mean?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Matthew 12:43-45
43 “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”

I am not understanding this.. can someone please help??

Comments

• when someone gets rid of an evil spirit, the spirit goes and tries to find somewhere else to go but he dosent find any so he decides to come back to where he was. when he goes there he finds the person good and holy now. so he could come back he goes and gets more spirits that are worse than him and that person becomes worse than he was before. This is what will happen to this generation.

it means keep fighting after you get rid of a sin because it will try to come back in a much worser form. Jesus is also saying people will be much worse after him than they were before him

(this is what i understood)
  • I believe what the previous reply indicated is very ture. I want to add an extra point. Notice how the evil spirit returns when he finds the house both "empty" and "furnished"? A room that is messy may be interpreted as one that is defiled. Yet, even a room that is furnished, and clean should never be left "empty".
    If one does not accept Christ within himself, even the most noble attempts to do good will not prevail against temptation. Rather, when one keeps Christ in his heart; "laying the foundation on the rock" (Lk 6:48) he is able to keep himself in that furnished state. Make sure you leave the state of sin and begin to make yourself busy with good works and prayer.

If you're busy with Good Company, then there won't be any room for messy guests to enter.