Got a really important question on Holy Spirit

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Is it possible to receive the Holy Spirit without being annointed with the Holy Oil or having had someone lay their hands on you?
I say this because it seems to me Cornelius and his household never got anyones hand layed on them in the bible they just believed... also Why did Jesus say "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?" (Luke 11:13)

So we can just ask and we wil receive it?

Acts 11
15And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

16Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

18When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Comments

• they didn't need to be baptized with water, they were already baptized with the Holy Spirit.
  • You can't recieve the Holy spirit unless you are baptized by water and spirit.
    About the verse that Jesus said, He just means you have to believe in order to be worthy of that gift of the Holy spirit...of babptism, so if you asked Him for it...you will be worthy to have it.
    No we can't just ask and recieve it...You have to Believe in order to recieve it...you have to confess the true faith of the church. "Unless you are baptized from water and Spirit, you can't enter the kingdom of Heaven"...not sure of the chapter but it's a verse in the bible...
    so you have to believe...confess the true faith...in order to be worthy of reciving the Holy Spirit through baptism.
  • therefore not all coptic children have the holy spirit only when they believe the faith... right?
    they had baptism of water but they still need the baptism of the spirit?

Cornelius household were baptised with water after they received the holy spirit because u cant be saved without baptism I think... but they received the Holy Spirit it seems just by believing the gospel message it seems which confuses me..
  • when it is said that "they recieved the Holy Spirit", I believe that it means the Holy Spirit fell upon them, it entered their hearts...
  • well it doesnt mention in the bible anything about the apostles needing still to lay their hands on them I think .. and they seem to have this gift of speaking in tongues permanently (though it doesnt say this either) and therefore receive the Spirit permanently.

I dont want to confuse you and hopefully this isnt a stumbling to you I believe overall the church is right because there is many other parts in the bible where they had to have hands layed on and other stuff but im stuck here.
  • actually, both of those parts can be found in the bible, the one where they lay their hands on them i believe is in one or more of the Gospels, and when they speak in tongues i believe is in Acts?

and you know what, just so im not giving you wrong information, check with abouna...
  • they did lay hands on other people in Acts but not cornelius' household ( not those in Acts 10 &11)... I think its because cornelius' household were the first gentile believers and because the first jew believers (the apostles) didnt need anyone to lay their hands on them neither did they to show they are equal?
    but I dont know..
  • why don't we treat what happened with Cernelious as a special case...because they were the "first" Gentiles and because the Church was at an early stage...(nonewithstanding the fact that baptism and myron are apostolic traditions of course)?

I mean...Cernelious's incident's circumstances were different...we don't exactly know what they are, so anyway let's treat this as a special circumstance...

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • "they did lay hands on other people in Acts but not cornelius' household ( not those in Acts 10 &11)... I think its because cornelius' household were the first gentile believers and because the first jew believers (the apostles) didnt need anyone to lay their hands on them neither did they to show they are equal?
    but I dont know.."

I dont this think this is right because the apostles got the Holy Spirit directly from Jesus our God Himself..

John 20

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

23Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.