Were Ananias and Sapphira given a chance to repent?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Thats the question... if not how do we know if one day God strikes us for one sin while we think we are living repentent?
I dont think God would do that to us from His character but then how does this make sense with those two people
.. but God is God and good and all wise..

This comes from the life of thanksgiving by H.H

http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/Thanksgv/

"How many sins, which seem much simpler than yours, received
severe punishments :
v Ananias and Sapphira lied to Peter the Apostle by keeping
back a part of the money, and the result was that they both fell
down and breathed their last, without being given a chance to
repent. Nevertheless, how many people repeatedly lie every day."

Comments

• in my opinion i think it's because they didn't have to sell that farm thingy but they sold it and stole some of the money?
  • Yes I think thats why they were killed but were they given a chance to repent of this after?
  • no idea ::)
  • How could they have been given a chance to repent after they died?
  • yes they did have a chance to repent, becuase Peter asked them "why satan has hardened their hearts to lie to the holy spirit." And they had a chance to confess to this and repent and admit that what they did was wrong.
    hope that helps

-Pete
  • When??? I know Peter said that, and it was before they had died, but they didn't have a chance, I remember because I read Acts just like, a two months ago...
  • i think God knows if these ppl will repent or not
  • Why hello there
  • but see, during the mass and the prayers of the agpeya, we say "forgive us our sins, the ones we commit knowingly and unknowingly"... God knows that if you commit a sin without realizing it, there is no possible way you could confess it...
  • ok, according to this, Ananias died immediately but Sapphira was questioned.

3Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God."

Acts 5:5-7

5When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6Then the young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.

7About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8Peter asked her, "Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?"
    "Yes," she said, "that is the price."
  • yea quoting will simplify a bit i think :)