GOD to me is

124»

Comments

• yer thats what i mean howeva all i know is greek, serbian, india, russian,afraican (or something like that) i think there was a brazilian.....does any1 know the rest?

al i know is that we can have communion wif... serbian, african, n indian....not the greek!!
  • i think by african orthodox u mean ethiopian orthodox. there is also eritrian orthodox, and persian orthodox.

TAIO
  • yep ethiopian,.....thats the word...n can we have communion wif dem?
  • yups! they are all oriental orthodox. we can NOT however have communion with the eastern orthodox (such as the greek orthodox) because they are schismatics.
    there is actually a great degree of unity among the oriental orthodox here (california). not too long ago we had a spiritual day for all the youth from the coptic, ethiopian, and armenian orthodox. the armenian pope was there as well as other chuch notables and they all had communion and a liturgy and went on to other activities. ;D
  • [quote author=EpNomos EnTaio link=board=10;threadid=2630;start=90#msg43126 date=1132818195]
    yups! they are all oriental orthodox. we can NOT however have communion with the eastern orthodox (such as the greek orthodox) because they are schismatics.
    there is actually a great degree of unity among the oriental orthodox here (california). not too long ago we had a spiritual day for all the youth from the coptic, ethiopian, and armenian orthodox. the armenian pope was there as well as other chuch notables and they all had communion and a liturgy and went on to other activities. ;D

whats sistematics?

n nothibg like that is here in Australia, we wouldnt even know where a oriental curch would be oter than coptic orthodox....we wouldnt even know what oriental is...i think we should get to know them...!!!
  • schismatics are people that have separated from the Oriental Orthodox Church.
  • i think it's awesome that the oriental churches gathered like that...it's amazing..i've never heard of that happening anywhere (except when the russian orthodox come to attend Nativity/ Easter Liturgy with the pope)..

there is also the Orthodox Church of Antioch- that's an oriental church. and as far as i'm concerned, all the oriental orthodox church are non-chalcedonian (which we are), but the rest orthodox churches out there are chalcedonian

the Syrian Orthodox church is also out there, but i cant remember if it's chalcedonian or not
  • the Syrian Orthodox Church is Oriental and therefore non-Chalcedonian.
  • christ4life beat me to it..i looked up all the oriental orthodox churches, which we are in communion with:
    Armenian, Syrian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, and the Malankara Indian Churches.

i made a mistake when i mentioned the church of Antioch (was thinking of something else)

if any of you want to find out more about this topic, this is by HG Bishop Youssef:

http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=339&catid=277
  • Eritrean, and the Malankara Indian Churches.
    havent heard of them before!!

what language does the Eritrean speek?

i dont thin we have that in Australia!!

n thank God...there will be a Indian Orthodox church being built right next to our Coptic Skool n i heard news we might be hold a mass there sometime once it is finished being bulit!! :)
  • what language does the Eritrean speek?

Eritrian..it's somewhere near Ethopia and I think they speak the same language...not really sure.
  • the same language as etheopian...thats interesting

did u know that ethipoians wear/open umbrellas in their mass as a representation of gods Grace/shine/love hovering over them.....

that is really nice!! n its weird, ladies r allowed to go into the altar...(n we r allowed to have Holy communion which is weird becsue that is a huge difference between us n them!!!)

n u know the last part in the mass just before the our farther..., that is deprived from the ethiopian mass with slight changes!!
  • n u know the last part in the mass just before the our farther..., that is deprived from the ethiopian mass with slight changes!!

what bit?
  • i think it is called the confession...where abouna says...

ok here it is...

PRIEST: O Master, Lord our God, the great and the eternal, who are wondrous in glory; who keeps his covenant and his mercy unto them who love him with all their heart; who has given to us redemption from sins through his only-begotten son, Jesus Christ, our Lord, the life of everyone, the help of those who flee to him, the hope of those who cry unto him. Before whom stand thousands of thousands and ten thousand times ten thousands of holy angels and archangels, the Cherubim and the Seraphim and all the innumerable host of the heavenly powers. O God, who has sanctified these gifts which are set fourth, through the coming down upon them of your holy spirit, you have purified them. Purify us also, our Master, form our sins, the hidden and manifest; and every thought which is not pleasing to your goodness, God the philanthropic one, may it be far from us. Purify our souls, our bodies, our spirits, our hearts, our eyes, our understanding, our thoughts and our consciences, so that with a pure heart, and enlightened soul, and unashamed face, a faith unfeigned, a perfect love, and firm hope, we may dare with boldness without fear to pray to you, O God the holy Father who are in the heavens and say: Our Father....

that part!! :D
  • that's the fraction

i dont understand what you mean the women aren't allowed to go in the altar...what does that have to do with taking communion?.....we're not allowed in the altar either!
  • God is everything to me & all wat I need
  • [quote author=CopticSinner link=board=10;threadid=2630;start=105#msg43445 date=1133370008]
    that's the fraction

i dont understand what you mean the women aren't allowed to go in the altar...what does that have to do with taking communion?.....we're not allowed in the altar either!

no you read it wrong..they r allowed, we arent ;D thats what is deifferent n weird
  • There is no difference between the Ethopian, Eriterian and the Coptic Church, in fact our church is in agreement with them, meaning there is no difference at all, and we can take communion there.
    I think what u mean by the alter is the part that we are suppose to be in (the women part) not like the center that only abouna and deacons can go in there. And in our church, you can certainly enter that part (the women one) but nothing else, so there is no difference.
  • ok u seem to misunderstand me...the altar in the middle where women are not allowed to go in the coptic church, the ethipian women are allowed!!! thats the diffeence...nothing in belief, just actions...like having an umbrella in the mass!!
  • I didn't misunderstand you...I know what u mean..and I was correcting it since I never hear of it...and I have a lot of Ethopian and Eritrian in my church...so I would have known if they did...
    so if u have any actual writings of that...it would be helpful.
  • A mojority of Eritreans speak Tigrinya, but there are also many other languages in Eritrea.

A lot of Ethiopians speak Amaharic, but Tigrinya is also spoken in some parts of Ethiopia as well as many other languages.

Ge'ez is the ancient language of both Eritrea and Ethiopia and is still used in most church service today!!!
  • [quote author=AthanasiusTheApostolic link=topic=2630.msg41231#msg41231 date=1130463444]
    I think the choices need some modification.  How about heavenly father?

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect" Matthew 5:47-49

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you" Matthew 6:13-15

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:25-27

"For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them" Matthew 6:31-33

"Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots" Matthew 15:12-14

"This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart" Matthew 18:34-36

I chose "father" because with God, I feel like a little kid resting my head on his shoulder not caring about anything in the world.  Did you realize how a little kid react when his father stays a few steps away? He gets scared and runs to his father arms.  Thus, father includes many things: dependency, love (which is one of the choices), peace of mind, safety, friendship(you talk sometimes to your father as a friend, don't you?), etc....

I understand that God is Love, but the question is what is God to you?  In otherwords, describe the intimate relation between you and God.  You can answer God is love if the question was " what is God?"  These are my thoughts, did I make myself clear?

One more thing: Jesus said that we won't be able to enter heaven unless we go back and be like little kids.  If we will be like little kids, what he will be to us?  yes, [glow=red,2,300]father[/glow]

P.S  If your dad is real freek, all the above doesn't apply to you :'(

i dont agree with the "p.s part" because God shows a heavenly fatherhood beyond what any earthly father give..God knows how to get His love across. God's love, mercy n compassion is indescrible. God cares for His children n He will comfort them. So yes God as a Father does apply to people who their dad is a "real freak".  :D