Lighting a candle and prayer

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
what is the significance of praying with a candle? God will still hear our prayers without one.

Comments

• God always hears the prayers of His children, a prayer that comes from their heart, regardless of whether candles are there or not. But the use of candles, adds a symbolic meaning to our lives. A burning candle, reminds us, that we should also be as the candle, and fill our hearts with God's great love, the fire of love, that keeps on burning in our hearts. Our souls should be as candles that brightly burn. A candle also reminds us, that we should be a light unto the world, a light that shines in the darkness, " that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world" Philippians 2:14, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:16
  • shine as lights in the world" Philippians 2:14, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

WoW princessMary!!!

really nice verses! :)
  • i don't have a reply to this topic, but am adding a question! ???
    In many of the monasteries I visited in egypt they have a prayer by the icons which you are meant to pray wen lighting a candle. Does anyone have a copy of that, preferably in English?
  • i think i know what u r talking about, but i cant find it anywhere, isnt it a short prayer written by pope Shenouda?
  • Thankyou for that reply PrincessMary
  • In many of the monasteries I visited in egypt they have a prayer by the icons which you are meant to pray wen lighting a candle. Does anyone have a copy of that, preferably in English?

emmm, maybe u can look here:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Religion_and_Spirituality/Faiths_and_Practices/Christianity/Denominations_and_Sects/Orthodox/Coptic
  • um, couldn't find anything on that site.

don't know who the prayer was written by. it went something like

lord let this candle be a shining symbol of how i should be in the world. help me to remember you when i leave church and have troubles and work to deal with. through the intercession of .... (the icon of who ever you are lighting candle in front of) help me.
  • A CANDLE...........(poem)

A candle is such a simple thing,
    It starts with just a bit of string.
    Then dipped and dipped with patient hand,
    It gathers wax upon the strand.
    Until complete and ivory white,
    It gives at last a lovely light.

Life seems so like that bit of string,
    Each deed we do a simple thing.
    Yet day by day when on life's strand
    We work with patient heart and hand.
    It gathers joy and makes dark days bright,