Mary Magdelene

Wow, it's been a while since i used this forum, anyways i had 2 question thats been botherin me, Was saint Mary Magdelene a prostitute? and was she the one the people were gonna stone but jesus saved her?
thx
-nader

Comments

• Luke 8:1-3: Afterward [Jesus] journeyed from one town and village to another, preaching and proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. Accompanying him were the Twelve and some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out,

i dont think she was a prostitute (to my knowledge the catholics believe she was an adultress, and that is why she is portrayed as carrying an alabaster flask of ointment in their pictures of her, but i think we do not believe that she was the adultress who anlointed jesus's feet), but she was demon-possessed,

adultresses
    - i think that there is 2 adultresses, 1 that anointed jesus feet, and 1 that was about to be stoned,

"Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst" John 8:3

women who anointed jesus feet:

-and then i think there were 2
    1 of them an adultress, the other 1 mary, the sister of Lazarus

"And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, And stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil." Luke 7:37-38

"There they made Him a supper; and Martha served, but Lazarus was one of those who sat at the table with Him. Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil." John 12:3

i might be wrong...not sure
  • o thanks alot! but i wanna noe for sure cause its a question thats been botherin me, but does anyone know 100% we the copts beleve in?