I know I should know this by now but..

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What was the reason or reasons God accepted Abels offering but not Cains?

Comments

• i think it's like how 'spiritually' he offered it.

yea maybe that's right!
  • don't you remember in Genesis,

Reasons
    1) it said that Cain killed Abel
    2) because Cain got jealous of Abel and killed him, and he went against the commandment of God
  • Right but why did Cain kill Abel? Because God accepted Abel's sacrafice and not Cain's. mnc's question is why did God accept Abel's sacrafice and not Cain's?
  • oops sry I wasn't replying to you I meant Coptic Servent. Sorry...
  • But cain offered something from his work and so did abel...
    it seems like it was expected to just offer from your work.. what else could cain have offered? he didnt have sheep I dont think ? so what else?
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=1;threadid=2549;start=0#msg39612 date=1127937687]
    Right but why did Cain kill Abel? Because God accepted Abel's sacrafice and not Cain's. mnc's question is why did God accept Abel's sacrafice and not Cain's?

[quote author=Christ4Life link=board=1;threadid=2549;start=0#msg39616 date=1127937924]
    oops sry I wasn't replying to you I meant Coptic Servent. Sorry...

Cain got jealous of Abel, if you want more information, you can check Genesis for more details!
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=2549;start=0#msg39639 date=1127953916]
    But cain offered something from his work and so did abel...
    it seems like it was expected to just offer from your work.. what else could cain have offered? he didnt have sheep I dont think ? so what else?

Anything, as long as it was VALUABLE to him.
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=2549;start=0#msg39639 date=1127953916]
    But cain offered something from his work and so did abel...

Actually, you've got a good point but you must understand that God wasn't so much interested in "young sheep" as He was in a sacrafice from one's heart..it's not about giving animals or something..it's about who did it out of free will and who did it for the sake of doing it. So perhaps if Abel had offered the best he can manage and truly in his heart felt sorrow that he can do no better, then perhaps his offer would have been accepted.
  • Thx for replying servant of jesus :) it helps .. but I still want more responses ..hehe
  • As it was said, Abel offered a sheep. As we all know at these times, people didn't eat meat...they were all vegeterians...so why did Abel even raised sheeps and took care of them, while Cain was doing whatever else. Abel followed the TRADITION of his father, which is to offer sheeps, bloods of animals to be shed for the sins to be forgiven. So how did adam even know that bloods of animals has to be shed and not anything else, and NO..God didn't tell him that, he just understoof by himself. at the time they escaped from the garden. They covered themselves with fig leaves, but later on God covered them with a kind of fur from an animal that was killed, symbolizing that you can't enter the heaven without a blood of an animal. Back to Abel again...God accepted Abel's sacrifice for the purpose that he followed the tradition and sacrificed the right sacrifice.
  • God accepted cains sacrifice?
  • srry i got them switched...it's corrected now
  • thx... but I think you know the blood of an animal is not sufficient to take away sin but I think just to overlook? to save from temporary punishment on the basis that the LAMB OF GOD JESUS CHRIST would be offered to actually forgive and justify us?

I think?
    maybe someone can correct me or explain it better?

back to the topic... so u think Abel would have still offered a lamb to the LORD even if his work was to pick berries (for example even if not realistic?) do u think cain was copying abel by giving from things related to his work? while abel wasnt just giving from his work he knew what he was doing? do u know what I mean?

btw marianne87 this part of your post
    "...while Abel was doing whatever else.."
    is wrong too but it makes sense to me , it might be better to change it for others but you dont have to for me.

• lol..thanks...i just went and switched all the cains on there..lol
    and...ya u are right...blood of animals isn't enough...but in that time...it was just to teach them and to prepare them for the coming of Jesus...all the jews were doing it before Jesus came and they are even doing it until now...but just to answer ur question...he accepted Abel's sacrifice because of that..because he followed the TRADITION of his father.