You won't get into Heaven if..

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Matthew 5:20
For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

and what exacty wud that be..
I mean, I know the Pharisees are hypocrites and do things only for glory of man, but is there anything other thing that they did that we shudnt?

Comments

• Those are the only things the Bible mentions?? ???
  • For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

man...thats scary!!
    but in my bible it doesn't say it like that!!i don't know why!
    GBU
  • pharisees did pray but how? they used 2 pray like infront of all ppl so they say 'oh look they r good' so they wanted and they liked it when ppl said that. also they did everythin physically and not spiritually AT ALL . they complained when Jesus healed ppl on sabathes and alot more things.....they thought that they'r sinless and blah....

so it's not SCARY if u know wat did that meant, is it?

cos i can't remember it was a verse that said 'these people worship me with their lips, but their hearts are turned away from me' that's wat it meant (i think it's in either Exodus, Leveticus or Deotronomy)

that's wat i know till now! ::)
  • lol Thats what I meant. Does the Bible say anything else about the Pharisees...

So does it?
  • ok number 1. about the signature i kinda stole it from the Verses Chain...

2. I use that website too!

so ill check that n ill be back in a while...
  • Yes, I stole it from you...hehehe forgive me

that makes two of us losing their minds...lol

so yea i got like- believe it or not- i got 86 matches but theyre alike

they only thing i think we forgot is that they always wanted to trap Christ, one way or another.... other than that i got nothing...
  • lol an ugh kinda person... anything else any1 else wanna add?
  • well i post up there so i should read them lol...

come on ppl dont be lazy at least like 10 ppl are on right now!
  • 17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Murder Begins in the Heart

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder,[a] and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause[b] shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.

Adultery in the Heart

27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old,[c] ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[d] 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Whenever I try to understand a verse I always look at the context. After Christ tells us about not getting into heaven unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees he discusses 2 very important cases where sin begins in the heart. The Pharisees are all about the letter if the law. They loved to find loopholes in the law and reprimand those who broke any part of the law. However, Christ is telling them and us that sin begins in your heart. If you break the spirit of the law, even though you are technically upholding the letter of the law, you are still commiting a sin punishable by eternal damnation. Therefore, it is wrong to believe that you are not breaking the commandments when you do not actually murder anyone, but you ridicule and belittle others. Also, you can commit adultery in secret, in your heart, and although no other man knows about it, your Lord in heaven knows and will deal with you accordingly. Thus, Christ is teaching us to live our lives not based on what others think and say about us or whether we are abiding by the letter of the law, but to let the Spirit of God work in us and guide our actions.